+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, big ships is one I have heard too many times. They say they are on a ship, that they will get a third party to pick up, they will offer you more cash and then they will take your item and claim they never got it. That way, they get their money back and get your item for free. So dodgy! We don't sell on gum tree due to this happening with every transaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    If it was cars guide.com.au, they have this advice posted on their website under "Tips and Advice".

"We are currently aware of a current scam whereby the seller of a vehicle claims to be overseas due to either a recent divorce or for work commitments. The seller asks for payment to be done via a Western Union transfer. The seller also advises that they will arrange delivery of the vehilce by Ebay Cars. This is a known scam.Please note: be cautious in dealing with car sellers that are overseas and always arrange to view the vehicle prior to the transfer of any money."

sound familiar?
    Yeh I read this today on the website. Must have been alot happening this week because now when you click on the website there is a big bold warning re this but there wasn't when I listed the car on Saturday.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I guess I just think that if you're in a situation you're not in often or inexperienced in and is worth thousands or tens of thousands of dollars (e.g selling a car online) then you would read any tips and advice that the website might offer, or seek advice before completing the transaction. Maybe I over think things?
    No not over thinking, very sensible really. However some people can be very trusting. I guess it just comes down to the individual. I was nearly scammed but as years have gone on and I have experienced many more high financial transactions (buying cars, houses, etc) I have learnt that researching is vital. I also have kept trust and emotions aside and made any financial situation business only, if it doesn't meet my strict guidelines then no deal. I would have only learnt this though through almost being scammed in the past

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for posting this, i hadnt heard of this scam either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

Yep this happens everytime we advertise a car on gumtree. Never sell items through email, especially a big item. It would cost more for somebody to buy and transport a cae overseas then to buy one there. Glad you got your money in time.

Sent from my GT-I8150T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaBailey For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I also had not heard of this scam. I'm glad you didn't lose your money but what a PITA having to change your accounts!

Scammers keep scams going, not the 'uneducated' people who fall for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So would they have taken my $1,500 and that's it or would they have followed through and sent a company who was in on it to come get the car? She kept saying that once payment to transport company be made she would arrange for car to be collected because the funds would be released into my paypal account and she kept asking for my full name and address. Or am I over thinking now?? I had made it clear to her that the car would not be released until the funds were transfered out of the paypal account and sitting in my bank account.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    no - the funds are not transferred to your paypal account. they often send you a fake paypal receipt/transfer info to get you to believe that the funds have been transferred.

they dont bother with the car - just take the money you transfer to western union ... that is what you end up being out of pocket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    There are some awful scammers out there. Glad they didn't get you - some friends of mine lost $2000 and are in the long process of getting back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My understanding is they don't take the car. They get you for 'delivery costs'.

The well known one is they say they are out of the country. They will pay for the car plus delivery costs. They provide a fake statement saying it's gone into your pay pal. Then they say they've decided to get someone to pick it up and can you reimburse the delivery charge. Of course they never put anything in your pay pal so you lose that to them.
    Last edited by delirium; 23-01-2013 at 21:37.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (23-01-2013)