+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

I'm very suspicious by nature so personally I would only accept cash or bank cheque. But being pay pal.. Its meant to be a safe option and even I would have a split second thought of maybe it's legit. But still, personally I would say cash or bank deposit/cheque regardless of location etc.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow... Talk about lucky!

And don't feel too bad, Western Union rings alarm bells for me in general but not for that particular situation, and I'm very net savvy and tend to keep up to date on scams.
    Not everyone hears of EVERY scam going around, that's why scammers keep scamming. There's still business in it because one person out of 10 hasn't heard about their tricks.

But that being said it's a good lesson. Always be wary of a sale, offer, or 'prize' that involves spending your own money. I'm glad that you were able to make sure that you got your money back!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    umm - yes its great to be aware of those, and thanks for the links Wannawannabe

but in all fairness - saying

no offense, but I think if you are going to be selling things online through sites such as eBay and gumtree (especially high valued things such as cars) then it is your responsibility to educate yourself on the common and known scams that exist to protect yourself
    is just blaming the victim.

This is the scammers fault. Not KimberleyGals.

KG - so glad that you didnt do your money, and thanks for raising this scam to peoples attention once again - for others who hadnt heard of it.

It is fairly common, so for anyone selling a higher value item - beware of people using fake paypal stuff to scam you out of your money.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (23-01-2013),butterfly2013  (23-01-2013),HowCrazyCool  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never knew about the scam, so thanks for letting me know. Lucky you got your money back too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    umm - yes its great to be aware of those, and thanks for the links Wannawannabe

but in all fairness - saying

is just blaming the victim.

This is the scammers fault. Not KimberleyGals.
    Uneducated people is how the scammers win. Personally I just don't understand how people don't research before getting involved in high-value transactions, like selling a car!

It's like traveling to a high risk country but not reading the smart travelers warnings about riots, terrorist attacks etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

Op your post is identical to what happened to me 3 years ago. Only the guy said he was buying the car for his dad in NZ and he works out on big ships so doesn't get to land often. It was very convincing. I rang PayPal and it was very common back then. Sad to hear its still happening.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Uneducated people is how the scammers win. Personally I just don't understand how people don't research before getting involved in high-value transactions, like selling a car!

It's like traveling to a high risk country but not reading the smart travelers warnings about riots, terrorist attacks etc.
    I guess if they don't sell a car often and an offer comes in it can be very hard not to get excited about the possibility of selling the car (we all no how painful it is to sell a car) so yes I can see how it happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    I guess if they don't sell a car often and an offer comes in it can be very hard not to get excited about the possibility of selling the car (we all no how painful it is to sell a car) so yes I can see how it happens.
    I guess I just think that if you're in a situation you're not in often or inexperienced in and is worth thousands or tens of thousands of dollars (e.g selling a car online) then you would read any tips and advice that the website might offer, or seek advice before completing the transaction. Maybe I over think things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    Op your post is identical to what happened to me 3 years ago. Only the guy said he was buying the car for his dad in NZ and he works out on big ships so doesn't get to land often. It was very convincing. I rang PayPal and it was very common back then. Sad to hear its still happening.
    Someone tried to scam my hubby and he apparently was on an oil rig.

Kimberlygal: what a pain in the butt you having to open a whole new bank account! Hope the @rseholes get caught!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    If it was cars guide.com.au, they have this advice posted on their website under "Tips and Advice".

"We are currently aware of a current scam whereby the seller of a vehicle claims to be overseas due to either a recent divorce or for work commitments. The seller asks for payment to be done via a Western Union transfer. The seller also advises that they will arrange delivery of the vehilce by Ebay Cars. This is a known scam.Please note: be cautious in dealing with car sellers that are overseas and always arrange to view the vehicle prior to the transfer of any money."

sound familiar?

Wow....rude much?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (23-01-2013),sunnyflower  (23-01-2013)