+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Someone buying a car sight unseen would be my first clue that something was up ].
    I think that in these situations too (unless of course its some classic collectable showcar that has won awards and so forth)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Someone buying a car sight unseen would be my first clue that something was up - the rest (especially transferring money) screams scam to me.
    I wouldn't think a sight unseen was too odd as I myself bought a car sight unseen and from another state. However I went and collected the car and paid on collection (that car was my baby).

But yes as soon as I see Western Union my head rings "scam!".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

Western Union is a no go and also, you should never, ever, ever give money to a 'buyer'. The only way that I pay online is through paypal, if a website doesn't have it in this day and age, I wonder why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We had 6 smses like this when I sold my car. The give away wasn't just that they were buying sight-unseen but that they were willing to pay the advertised price!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Glad you got your money back op.

I forward all suss pay pal emails to

spoof @ paypal. com

(No spaces in the email address) That's the info they had on their site a while ago in regards to fraudulent emails.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Don't be so harsh on her. What decks they are (the scammers). Good for you that you caught on in time. thanks for letting us know. I didn't know about this one and I am about to advertise a car on gumtree myself.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

Thank god you got your money back! I first heard about a similar scam last year where the scammers were posing as australian soldiers in afghanistan (hence buying unseen).

Im so glad its all sorted for you now - i'm sure lots of people aren't so lucky.

Make sure you report it to the website you are selling your car on. They should be warning sellers to beware.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Don't be so harsh on her. What decks they are (the scammers). Good for you that you caught on in time. thanks for letting us know. I didn't know about this one and I am about to advertise a car on gumtree myself.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    no offense, but I think if you are going to be selling things online through sites such as eBay and gumtree (especially high valued things such as cars) then it is your responsibility to educate yourself on the common and known scams that exist to protect yourself. Scams are nothing new. The Australian Government has a dedicated Scamwatch site that explains warning signs and tips and tricks to recognize scams. http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/.../itemId/694076 I would suggest you read it, as I can pretty much guarantee you will have at least one scammer contact you about your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    Make sure you report it to the website you are selling your car on. They should be warning sellers to beware.
    Ebay, paypal and gumtree definitely do.....
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 23-01-2013 at 19:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a car selling website and we have bought a car from there before and sold one with no issues. I seriously had not ever heard of the Western Union scams going on. And the emails I thought were from pay pal re the money having been transfered I thought were legit so I was none the wiser. I have sent all the emails to Pay Pal as I was advised to by pay pal. I really thought the buyer was genuine and the sale was genuine. I also went to the police station and reported it. I will be more aware in the future now though. What sort of people do this and live with it??!! Shocking.

To make matters worse I had a genuine buyer in town who enquired then didn't get back to me wuick enough and I told her the car was sold when I thought it was and now it isn't so I contacted her back and she was disapointed because she has bought one from the city already. So I lost the sale altogether. Urgh doh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It's a car selling website and we have bought a car from there before and sold one with no issues. I seriously had not ever heard of the Western Union scams going on. !
    If it was cars guide.com.au, they have this advice posted on their website under "Tips and Advice".

"We are currently aware of a current scam whereby the seller of a vehicle claims to be overseas due to either a recent divorce or for work commitments. The seller asks for payment to be done via a Western Union transfer. The seller also advises that they will arrange delivery of the vehilce by Ebay Cars. This is a known scam.Please note: be cautious in dealing with car sellers that are overseas and always arrange to view the vehicle prior to the transfer of any money."

sound familiar?