+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default BEWARE of fraudulent buyers - I nearly lost alot of money today

I just wanted to make others aware to be careful. I put my car that I'm selling on a cars online website on Saturday. We have used it before and had no issues. On Monday I had a message to contact an interested buyer so we liaised by email, negotiated a price and she said she would pay into my pay pal account. She asked if she could pay the amount for transporting the vehicle on top of the buying price and I pay it into a Western Union account via Australia post for her because she didn't have access to a branch. I thought ok that sounds reasonable. So then I get emails from pay pal saying she has transfered the money to my pay pal account but I need to pay the transport cost into the Western Union account before the funds will actually be released to my account. I could tell the person wasn't english by her wording. I thought it odd that the transport company was an international transport company thinking i needed to protect myself in case the car was being transported out of the country and involved in illegal goings on or such. Anyway I paid the transport fee and then called Pay Pal to advise them so they would release my money to be told that I had been scammed, they advised I would probably get harrassing emails. I had a brief panic attack and called Western Union who advised the recipient hadn't collected the money yet so the transaction was stopped and I then went back to the post office and got a refund. Thank god! I was none the wiser as the emails from pay pal seemed legit. I then started getting emails from fraudulent pay pal saying I needed to make deposit of the $1,500 within 24hrs to avoid legal action. I have closed down my pay pal account and my bank account that was linked to it. I then had to re open a new bank account and change bank details with our pay rolls etc. What a pain in the bum. You just don't think these things will happen to you. Apparently there's been lot's going around re this sort of thing but I hadn't heard of it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Someones Mummy  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Have you reported it to Paypal?

They take these things v serious. This is a common scam but they always appreciate being informed of new people conducting the scam. They also work closely with law enforcement to deal with the scams.

Thanks
    Reviews

That's the oldest scam in the book.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shhhsleeping For This Useful Post:

bada  (24-01-2013),delirium  (23-01-2013),FindMyLunch  (23-01-2013),Inked Mumma  (23-01-2013),mum2twinboys  (23-01-2013),Mummy pig  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Whoops - lucky you didn't get scammed! That one is nearly as well known as the Nigerian prince wanting to divulge all his assets to you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

bada  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Very common scam! Western Union should always ring alarm bells

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

bada  (24-01-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They also do this through gumtree, it's been going on for ages!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldnt sell anything (especially a big ticket item) without the cash in my hand or a pay pal receipt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Western Union should have be your first clue. This scam has being being going on for years. Can't believe that you've never heard of it before.

Why would you think that sending that much cash to someone who is supposed to be paying you was a good idea to begin with?

TBH I wouldn't be selling your car without cash in hand on pick up/delivery.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

bada  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Well known scam, glad you didn't lose your money.

Thanks
    Reviews

Someone buying a car sight unseen would be my first clue that something was up - the rest (especially transferring money) screams scam to me.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (24-01-2013),youmake3  (23-01-2013)