+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default ATTN: all cake makers :)

I'm feeling i've mastered butter icing and all the really fabulous looking cakes are fondant and i really want to give it a try.

Few questions, Do you need to use a certain type of cake?

Does fondant taste as bad as my dp insists it does?

Is it really really hard to work with?

And what are your hot tips for someone wanting to give it a go for the first time?

I've had a little play with marshmallow fondant, took a while to get it right but did smooth out well, kind of hoping for a fondant that doesn't take so long to prepare so i can spend more time decorating then making TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

You need to use a heavy cake with fondant and I think it's revolting. Lol. I make a lot of cakes but when it comes to the ones I'm eating I avoid using it. Hahah. Even the home made does nothing for me.

I personally find it extremely easy to work with and always have from the first cake I made. Others have more difficulty. Watch lots of videos and buy the proper tools to make it much easier.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

silly  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: ATTN: all cake makers :)

I think I'm one of the only people that like fondant haha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

silly  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Not really, as long as it's a more dense cake. Lots of layers of something like a mudcake or heavy buttercream cake, sandwiched with ganache, works well.

I've never met anyone who doesn't like fondant! I love it. All my cakes are fondant, and people seem to like them...

Nope! Just takes a bit of getting used to.

And what are your hot tips for someone wanting to give it a go for the first time?

Do a one-off beginners class. That'll give you so many good tips. Otherwise, Youtube tutorials are great. Always put a layer of ganache under your fondant. If you can ganache well then it creates a perfect foundation for the fondant. So I would look up tips on Youtube for how to ganache a circular cake first (bit easier than square) and practise lots from there.

Don't be scared to experiment. If it looks bad then it'll still be yummy

Use good quality fondant. I wouldn't bother with the stuff at the supermarkets. Bakels Pettinice (from cake making shops or online ordering) is really good.
    Last edited by Guest654; 23-01-2013 at 17:51. Reason: forgot a q

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

silly  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL my dp says it's revolting and doesn't want me to use it, he just asked me what i'm typing, followed by don't you dare its sh** no not happening not eating it blah blah blah

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really. Fondant is very versatile. You can roll it thick or thin but it dries quickly so you must work fast. The cake you use determines how you apply your fondant...not the other way around.

No. Unless you decide to eat a bucketload.

No. Depending on how you make it, though, elbow grease is required.

YouTube is full of good videos to assist. Cake decorating is simply practise, practise, practise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to happy wanderer For This Useful Post:

silly  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Eew fondant is WAY too sweet. The only one I can kind of stomach is satin ice vanilla flavour. Lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

silly  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I usually use a mud cake for my fondant cakes and ganache in between the layers and over the cake. I hate the taste of fondant so I just pick it off if I'm eating the cake myself I use satin ice which you can usually get from spotlight, it smells lovely but I find all fondants too sweet for me

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda01 For This Useful Post:

silly  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use the fondant you get from supermarkets, white orchid (pink/purple pkt) and everyone who has tried my cakes says its nice But I dont make them for customers, just fam and friends who probably lie to me lol. I make sure I roll it really thin (personal preference). I think it might be a good place for you to start- its easy to get, comes in 500g blocks and its cheap. Maybe once you've got the hang of it then try some of the other fondant at cake decorator shops? You can get a white choc flavoured one but I cant remember what brand it is.

* If I use a butter cake then I'll sugar syrup it first, otherwise I use a mud cake.

* Ganache- I agree, there are lots of youtube sites to help you get a great straight edge.

*With fondant you need to work really quick other wise it dries out and cracks. Again, youtube has great video demos.

Good luck and have fun experimenting.

ATM I have 4kgs of white choc ganache sitting on my bench for my MIL's 70th birthday cake Im doing tomorrow. Soooo hard to resist

eta- just checked out inspired by michelles youtube pages- OMG! That woman is fantastic!
    Last edited by My Beloved Ones; 23-01-2013 at 21:06. Reason: eta

16. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

silly  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: ATTN: all cake makers :)

Make sure you man isn't confusing fondant with marzipan, wwhich is often layered under fondant on fruit wedding/Christmas cakes. Either way, if he hates it it's so easy to peel off.

It's a little bit humid here so I find the supermarket brand easier to work with as it's harder than the professional stuff.

Must have tools are a smoother and a good rolling pin.

I also recommend checking out cakes made professionally very close up. I'm a perfectionist and was stressing about tiny bumps and specs of dust in the icing. Until I saw that the pros get them too!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

silly  (25-01-2013)