+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does your baby know when they're naughty?

I'm getting the distinct feeling DD knows exactly what she's doing when she's being naughty...
    She's 9 months and a half, and she's crawling all over the place. She'll beeline for the power points or the foxtel box and I'll say no no... so she'll turn around look at me raise an eyebrow and smile... then proceed to 'run away' as fast as she can laughing TOWARDS the power points! It's super cute and cracks me up every time, but Im now wondering if I'm setting the wrong basis for discipline or am I over thinking it?
    The only other issue I have is when she's in her high chair, she's forever putting her feet on the tray, I keep putting it down and telling her no but it's not sinking in she just keeps doing it.
    She's a great baby very easy and happy, I'm just wondering if she's thinking no no is a game...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Does your baby know when they're naughty?

Babies don't have any real good impulse control. It's why they can repeatedly jam their fingers in the same draw day after day without actually simply deciding to not do it again.

THOUGH they love observing "cause and effect" - if I do X mummy does Y, test that out again, and again. But no I don't think she'd understand its "naughty".

Can you block off these areas at all? I know it's hard, my princess is 10.5 months and a ball of mischief and cheekiness.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I definitely think they do things for the reaction. She probably loves seeing you laugh and does it just to see you do so.

In my experience (which is limited to 2 kids, neither of which are exceptionally well behaved) its best to be consistent. Start the way you intend to finish. So just persevere with the 'no', be firm but not too grumpy. If you are consistent and don't give in, eventually she will learn the Behaviour with gives her the best reward.

I am a huge fan of redirecting them. I used the 'no, we can't do that but how about this?' So much with both mine that they would say 'how bout?' When asking for anything from the youngest age. It was so cute.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I definitely think they do things for the reaction. She probably loves seeing you laugh and does it just to see you do so.

In my experience (which is limited to 2 kids, neither of which are exceptionally well behaved) its best to be consistent. Start the way you intend to finish. So just persevere with the 'no', be firm but not too grumpy. If you are consistent and don't give in, eventually she will learn the Behaviour with gives her the best reward.

I am a huge fan of redirecting them. I used the 'no, we can't do that but how about this?' So much with both mine that they would say 'how bout?' When asking for anything from the youngest age. It was so cute.
    I agree with this, nothing works like consistency.
    I still often re-directing with my almost 2yr old, it is often the best way to get them to comply without a melt down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Babies don't have any real good impulse control. It's why they can repeatedly jam their fingers in the same draw day after day without actually simply deciding to not do it again.

THOUGH they love observing "cause and effect" - if I do X mummy does Y, test that out again, and again. But no I don't think she'd understand its "naughty".

Can you block off these areas at all? I know it's hard, my princess is 10.5 months and a ball of mischief and cheekiness.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    I agree, they don't know they are being naughty or doing the wrong thing, they just know what they are doing it getting a reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep. My DD2 is 10 months old and she definitely knows that certain things she does will get a certain response from me.

If she goes near my pot plants or my plates on the buffet shelf she will look at me as she's approaching them. I say no but the majority of the time she'll keep going anyway.

She is starting to understand though. If I say her name and a firm 'no' she will stop sometimes. She's quite a mouthy baby and is constantly putting things in her mouth. If she puts something in her mouth I will say "no, that's not for eating' and she will remove it from her mouth.

They learn so quickly!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies, yes I can see how she is doing it for my reaction, so now I'm going to give no reaction for bad things... she's young I know but if I start now and just carryon from here hopefully she'll get it... probably being optimistic but I suppose it's better than encouraging her to go for the dangerous stuff.
    Yes I do need to baby proof! I started but there's a few spots I'm just not sure how I'm going to do... Probably just put a piece of furniture in front!!