+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tablets...

So we are expecting a baby I'm just concerned about how to entertain my dd at all the appointments! (I will have heaps) dd is 8 mo atm .. So I was thinking a tablet for her to watch, play ect (I've been left waiting for up to 2hrs) so toys ect can only entertain so long! We cannot afford an iPad so what are cheaper options which have the same features? Sorry for the ramble lol hope it makes sense!! Thanks!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tablets...

I'm sorry…… do you expect an 8mo to play with a tablet

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tablets...

I only ask because I think I might have misread what you were saying…

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Tablets...

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    I'm sorry…… do you expect an 8mo to play with a tablet
    Hmm.. My dd2 had just gone 12 months and all she thinks of our tablet is "oooh wow.. What sound does this make when I throw it?" Or "how does this taste" or "lets see what mum thinks of me playing with this thing! *insert up to no good laugh here*".
    Don't get me wrong. They can be great tools to keep bub entertained in the form of playing music or whatever but as for playing with.. They are still to develop and fine tune their fine motor skills. It is an expensive thing for a baby/toddler to pick up and "explore their senses" by slamming on the ground or to chew on. That's my opinion anyway.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You could use it to download movies/tv shows on but at such a young age they most likely won't have the attention span to sit and watch for up to 2 hours at a time.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I bought some cheap ones on Ebay for Christmas...

however if I may make a suggestion... I think a more age appropriate method of distraction would be a picnic basket which you have filled with interesting things...

bells,
    bottles with or coloured water in them
    strings of bright beads
    whistles
    bubbles that you can blow for her
    bouncy balls that are chewable
    lots of snacks
    musical toys
    blocks and cars..
    wind chimes
    simple board books

and YOU-- singing to her, playing rhythm games and songs with actions.

at 8 months they are into things that interact with their senses.. so things like cars or vehicles that roll or make sounds, things they can hit, put in their mouths, shake, hear and taste...

A tablet would not be ideal for this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We have a few cheap ones from Kmart too

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tablets...

I've been exactly where you are not once but twice. My first was 4 months when number 2 was conceived and I had an appointment a week from 12 weeks so from when she was 7 months. When the second was 7 months we conceived our next one so I was taking a 9 month old and a 20 month old to weekly appointments and yes we often waited a while. iPad is great for 5 min then it becomes the how hard can I throw it on the floor/wack my sister toy.
    I used to pack a lunchbox for each girl with snacks, a drink, and little toys- books, toy cars, bangles, balls etc and I would interact with them the entire time. It was hell when the dr ran late but generally they were good. We loaded up my husbands iPad for when I had the baby and they came to visit and still at 2.5 and 18 months they couldn't sit still to watch

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tablets...

Ok firstly I'm not an idiot... I do not think my 8mo is going to play solitaire ... But in the night garden or something similar on you tube could easily fill 20 minutes. When games, playing ect is not cutting it. I would also use it to read ect. So my question ( not how to entertain my dd) but can anyone recommend a cheaper tablet then an iPad?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pmakes3 For This Useful Post:

NurseAnni  (23-01-2013)

NurseAnni is offline Winner 2014 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tablets...

Check out iibuy.com.au ... It compares productsand fiinds the cheapest. Australian too, so you know you are safe warranty wise. I found a 7 inch tablet (forget the brand) for $75 and $10 postage, not too sute about 10 inch but 7 is perfect for me, very portable and convenient.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NurseAnni For This Useful Post:

Pmakes3  (23-01-2013)