+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many years apart is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleIsleSMum View Post
    There is 5 years between DSD & DD, I LOVE the gap! DD gets one on one when DSD is at school and DSD loves being a big sister and she interacts really well with her, there is no jealousy as DSD is old enough to understand things better
    Same here! 5 year age gap and working well atm. At beginning, DD1 was a little sad but understood why I was spending so much time with the baby and in turn I felt bad for leaving dd1 to spend so much time by herself (ESP school hols) but now we're in a bit of a routine with DD2, it totally works...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How many years apart is too much?

Thanks so much for your responses, definitely has given me more confidence.

I think the main thing I was concerned about was how they would interact when they're kids and later on in life

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subscribing. My DS is only 2 years old but I won't be having another one before he's 3... maybe even 4. Like you OP, everyone I know seems to go for that 2-3 year gap. I'm almost starting to feel like something is wrong with me because I haven't felt ready to have another yet (nor has my DH).

The other thing is... I'm an an only child myself and it wasn't that bad. My parents intended to have another but had secondary fertility issues (always weighs on the back of my mind as I hope not to have the same!) I had heaps of cousins to keep me company whereas my DS won't. So I am kind of feeling that pressure to have another to give him a sibling before too long but I want to do it when I'm ready too. It's tricky!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm 11, 13 and 15 years older than my little brothers. We're so very close. Sure, we didn't get the childhood together, but we have a way cooler relationship. They come and have sleepovers at my house, we get along really well. There's no reason a big age gap won't result in close sibs!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

semrau  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Sometimes you don't really get much of a choice...

I had grand plans of having about a 3-4 year gap.

My daughter is now 7.5 and there is no baby happening any time soon.

It wasn't an active decision - I split from her father just before she turned 3. Obviously no baby-making could be done responsibly at that point. I then started a new relationship, and I had to let that bloom and develop... blah blah etc.

He has opinions on when babies should happen too - so I don't just get to choose on my own. As it turns out, we've decided to TTC in the middle of 2014. That means my daughter will be 9 when we TTC. There will be roughly 10 years gap...

I don't think a gap determines the relationship children we have either. I'm 18 months older than my brother. I loathe him. Absolutely hate him.

One of DP's sisters is about 6 years older. They don't really get along. His other sister is 10 years older. They do get along well.

The ex's brother was a few years younger. They got along okay. His sister was 10 years older, and she really adored her brothers.

The ex's nieces are 3 years apart, and fight a lot. They now have a new brother and sister... the eldest has about 12 years on her brother now, and she adores him. Absolutely. She doesn't really like the youngest much (who is about 14 years younger than her).

It really just depends on the individuals, rather than the gaps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

semrau  (24-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

Agreed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

There's 16 and 18 years between my sisters and I and they are my best friends. We are so close even though they're in their early 40's and me my mid 20's. Age gaps really are no indication of how well siblings will get along. My brother is 3 years older and we're not necessarily close at all, we only see each other at mums place and don't catch up or text/call each other unlike my sisters and I who speak daily!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

semrau  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have 7 years between my two, I love it so much easier as the older one isn't a baby anymore and vey self sufficient not to mention at school so I can nap when the baby did..

I'm now onto my 3rd pregnancy and there will be nearly 2.5/3 years between my youngest and this bub I'm worried at when I will get to rest when this bub comes!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

semrau  (24-01-2013)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Between dd1 & dd2 there is 21 months I wish I had them a little closer
    Between dd2 & this bub it will be just shy of 5 years which I think is too much

Ideally I would have liked around 15month age gap between the kids

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

semrau  (24-01-2013)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

Very true