+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've just been raging about my inlaws. Apparently their Grandsons are more important than their Granddaughter.

My Mum is here every weekend and she works full time. My inlaws are retired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    There's an old saying - you have a daughter for life, and a son until he finds a wife. Sometimes I think there's some truth to that!
    I really see the truth to this! My Brother doesn't have much to do with us since he met his wife, they come to the odd function but they're more into spending time with her family. Same as my DH has adopted my family as his own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Couldn't agree more! It is not really up to your SIL but your brother to do this.

I also have to get my DH to make more contact - it can be really frustrating. It shouldn't be my role to initiate contact with his side of the family.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this also, I have the same frustrations with my DH.

My situation is that my parents live 50 minutes from us but DH's parents (divorced and both re-married) both live interstate. I have always been MUCH closer to my parents (both geographically and emotionally!) than DH has been to any of his. His parents divorced when he was quite young and it was very messy between them for a number of years, plus DH had issues with step-parents entering into the picture and making life tricky for him. He moved out of home and out of the state as soon as he could for that reason - long before he met me. He does get on quite well with both of his parents now but he can go weeks on end without calling either of them and has very little desire to fly up and go and see them very often. I don't see it as my responsibility to call them on his behalf but I do constantly encourage him to like PPs have said... it can be infuriating because I'll ask him to call 5 times before he actually does it. I also think it doesn't hurt for the parent to call us/DH every so often either! When his mother does call I am on the phone to her for over an hour giving her all the news and answering all her questions whilst DH will talk to her for 5 minutes...!

I TRY to remember to post photos of DS to them every few months but have been slack with this at times. I don't mind doing it but it's just something I forget to do. DH would never get around to doing it at all if I left it up to him. They are all on Facebook now which helps too!

I think if the parent has an issue re: lack of contact etc they need to flag it to their own child and seek to improve it from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That could be precisely my families situation.

My kids have a relationship with my mum and grandma because they live nearby, before we lived close I would send my mum and grandma pictures etc I'd call my mum all the time (we spoke nearly daily) she was involved at a distance.

Now we live interstate, I have mmsed pictures to my Mil occasionally, I've have photos printed and framed for in laws if I'm doing it for my mum, gave them to df, and they've never been sent.

It sounds very much like unless your brother has said his wife is preventing HIM from contacting his family then I don't see how this has anything to do with your sil.

If it was my brother I'd be calling him saying "dude come on!"

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up knowing my maternal grandparents significantly better than my paternal grandfather. My Grandfather was much older, and didnt have the same draw towards children as my maternal grandparents. He wasnt someone that could look after us overnight etc due to his health.

It is a shame we didnt know him better as children, but sometimes thats circumstances. I did get to know him a little bit as an Adult, however he already had been diagnosed with the beginning of dementia.

From a person who was in that position.... I believe its important to know both sets, however its possible you will naturally be drawn to one set/person and thats ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think the kids are going to be "damaged" by only knowing one set of Grandparents, but I think there are at a huge loss. The more family, the better imo (excluding those cases where there is a good reason to not have certain family members involved). Even if it's just written letters, telephone calls etc. Grandparents can give a lot to a family- not just physical support but impromtu and informal history on the family, old times etc, a listening ear for the kids- imo, everyone misses out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinahbee View Post
    My daughter only knows DH side of the family, and is really close with her nan and pop. I have no connections with my family, and my parents have made no effort to see her, so what she doesn't know won't hurt her.
    My situation is exactly this I haven't had any contact with ANY if my family since my daughter was born so its been nearly 2 years and the only family my kids see us DH side. They haven't suffered in anyway and their insert of grandparents are more then ample fir them. I don't see anything changing with my family anytime soon hell it been nearly 2 years of absolute no contact

I used to worry about how t wouldn't affect my kids but now I no longer think about it

With the situation you described if say both your brother and mum need to make more of an effort. But your brothers wife I less a lot less to blame then your brother. Can children be ok with only one set of grandparents ? Yes definitely. Though if you can building a relationship with both sets is optimal

Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I dunno, my mother was the one who kept in contact with my dads parents overseas, it isn't that he didn't care about them, he was just thoughtless. So she would write letters and send photos. At the end of the day, it would have been me and my brother who it missed out had she not. After my dad died, she kept the correspondence up, according to some of these posts, it wasn't up to her, so we would have just lost touch.

And what happens if the brother died? Does that mean an automatic loss of relationship between his mother and his children because it isn't up to the SIL to keep in touch.

I don't believe that. I believe if the SIL was a nice person, then she would want to encourage a relationship with the Grandmother, after all, she may not be related but those kids sure as heck are.

So no OP, I don't think it is a good situation. Your brother sounds lazy, your SIL sounds uncaring.

I have a very similar thing going on in my family. I love my niece and nephew and despise my SIL who has full custody of them. We still manage to see them once or twice a year, but it has been difficult in the past and I have a feeling it will be even more so, my mother finds it very difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like theres no reason for them not to know your side of the family. Thats really sad.

I don't know how they can do it. My ds only knows my family but its a but different. Mil is a nasty spiteful person, and does have mental health issues and is an alcoholic. She is very unstable and immature. She has been told by police not to contact us as she was harassing and threatening us constantly via msn, fb and texts several times a day, every day, for months on end.

With all that in mind I feel really sad for my ds and sometimes guilty that he doesn't know his dads parents (I don't even know his dad) but she brought it on herself, hopefully in time, if she shows she has made progress we can start to bridge that gap...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Your brother sounds lazy, your SIL sounds uncaring.
    No more lazy or uncaring that the mother (grandma).

Perhaps the brother is just a typical male and is hopeless with communication. Perhaps the SIL is busy and stressed raising a kid, and can't find time to actively chase a grown adult (her hubby) to spend time on a relationship with another grown hubby (her MIL).

I assume the grandma is retired? If so what's her excuse for sitting on her ar$e and watching her relationship with her grandkids go down the crapper? Pull your finger out Nanna!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

GM01  (23-04-2013),ozeymumof5  (24-04-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-04-2013)