Closed Thread
Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I lucked out with my Dr. She has done everything including thyroid function tests, and checked my immunities. Only needle I got was Whooping cough.

I had a really bad one before her, but I moved and stumbled across her. Another thought is if you are going private and know what Ob you want, ring the rooms and ask if they recommend any Drs with an interest in fertility?

If anyone is NOR in Perth I would be happy to recommend them. Just PM me

Two more owchy pimples have developed on my face today - the deep throbbing kind that have no head and just form a big red hill

Thanks
    Reviews
    If we want to start trying now ( my blood test is a-okay and we can start now) should I be looking for an ob now?

I was hoping to be in a hospital that has private rooms only. I have PHI but wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for an ob!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good question sprinkelle! We are going private too. Will see what the other ladies say!

AFM pretty sure AF is on her way first and only time I'll cheer about that! Just keen to start using the OPKs this cycle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkelle View Post
    I was hoping to be in a hospital that has private rooms only. I have PHI but wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for an ob!
    Where do you live sprinkelle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lanadel, good to hear you are getting organised. I had a blood test for Rubella but I was still immune. No vaccine for me. Yay! Will you stay with the doctor you have now? I love mine. She was so helpful. I don't have much bloating when I ovulate, but my sign is really sensitive nipples for several days after I ovulate. Hope you've enjoyed your holidays.

FiBub, my doc said the same thing about the whooping cough shot. She also said any immediate family that will be around the baby in the first six weeks also needs to get the whooping cough shot before bub is born?

Azimuth, Your doctor sounds amazing!! My pimples are similar to yours. They are definitely hormone pimples. I have so many on my chin right now. Ewww. I'm not use to this! Let's hope that the bad skin now means that we will have glowing skin during pregnancy. Hah!

Lilac, yay for OPK's. I love them.

As for OBs and PHI - even if you are covered, don't you have to pay thousands in OB management fees? If so, I would rather go through public. Or can you stay in the public hospital as a private patient? So confused. I've only recently upgraded my PHI so I'm new to all this. Can you tell?

In regards to cycles off the pill. I think my first cycle was 31 and my second was 35. I hope they don't keep getting longer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkaboo For This Useful Post:

Lanadel  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nomie, Sprinkelle, Lilac- I am not an expert (no kids here) but here is what I have read. I also think you need to make a decision that is best for you and your situation.

Be warned - this is long!

Public -having baby through Public system will cost you $0 or pretty close to that. All scans should be free, hospital stay free, however (and this is based on WA research, not sure about other states) you will probably not have the same Dr/Midwife at each appt, you may have to wait for several hours for your appt and at the business end you my have to share a room after having a baby. Other benefits are intervention rates are lower than going private. Did I mention it was free? Also you don't get much choice in hospital - you will be in the catchment area of a hospital and that's that (unless you are high risk).

Private - this will cost you $$$. I really recommend reading the PDF below.

http://www.nib.com.au/home/documents...cost_guide.pdf

Even though it is for NIB health fund I really think it gives a realistic idea how how much things cost going private. Maybe see if your health fund has something similar?

If you have read that and you can afford it then that doesn't mean you have to go private, it just means you have the option to.

Everyone has their own reasons why, but we have decided to go public because:
    - I have a few drug allergies and I would prefer not to explain them over and over to a new Dr each appt.
    - I get migraines. They disappear when I get pregnant but I want a caregiver that knows my history and my drug allergies that can help if I get them.
    - Personal prior interaction with the health system has left me with a bad taste in my mouth (given drugs I was allergic to even though I told them I was allergic to them, wanting to operate and when I declined and went private the private surgeon said there is nothing that an operation can do, and turfing me out of hospital when I wasn't in any condition to leave).

BUT - Please investigate the options near you.

There are other options such as home birth, Birthing Centres, Midwife managed care, GP shared care (so you see your normal GP for a while instead of Hospital) that I think are really important to investigate before making your mind up.

Some things I have read to help make my decision.

http://www.healthnetworks.health.wa...._Framework.pdf

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Parliament\commit.nsf/(Report+Lookup+by+Com+ID)/4C8BAD0EFBEFCF4548257831003E942A/$file/report.pdf

These are just a few but I wanted to try understand my options. Also private hospitals have a much higher intervention rate so you need to be aware of that and what you can do to counteract that ( eg. Hire a doula, educate yourself).

How I chose my Ob

I first decided on a hospital and then looked at their website to find the list of Obs that delivered there. Then I googled everyone and looked for reviews of them. This sounds very easy but took a while to do. I chose one that resonated with me, not sure how else to explain.

Obs go pretty quickly where I want to give birth so I basically will need to take a pregnancy test, tell DH, ring the Obs rooms to book in. I didn't want to have to try decide what I wanted under stress so have spent time doing it now. I also went to the rooms and saw his sidekick to discuss preconception stuff and I liked the vibe of the place (calm, friendly) and in the waiting room saw a lady who was coming back for her 3rd child with the same Ob so that's also a good recommendation in my books.

So if you have got through this essay- Congrats! Please don't feel this is what you have to do - this is just what I wanted to do. Go with your gut, research or whatever floats your boat. There is no wrong way

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

elswyth  (20-04-2013),Lanadel  (22-04-2013),Lilac07  (20-04-2013),Pumpkaboo  (20-04-2013),sprinkelle  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Helloooo to everyone.. and sorry for the huge radio silence the past few months!

Welcome to all new the newbies and congrats on your weddings Wobbler, Nomie and anyone else I haven't seen yet! I started going back through the thread and will read it properly shortly. Congrats to the ladies that have moved on to active TTC! So exciting!! Baby dust to all.

Long boring story on my absence (haha):

After discovering in my pre-conception checkup that my ferritin was below the detectable amount, I had my iron infusion and now my ferritin is like 600 or something ridiculous like that.

It was 8 weeks ago and apparently it'll all be settling into my body properly now. So that's good! I don't actually feel any different which is really weird.

Anyway my doctor also talked to me about my anxiety because he felt that the levels of anxiety I was experiencing indicated that if I want to have a baby I really should deal with that first, since having children is a source of even MORE anxiety and I'd be crazy not to sort myself out prior!

I was already aware that it was bad and have been working on it for a while, but as you can imagine that was a pretty disheartening moment because I couldn't even estimate how long it would take to improve my condition and I felt like I was being told I wasn't allowed to TTC because I wasn't fit to. And that made me sad.

Anyway he referred me to a psychotherapist and I also did an online government-funded 3 month CBT course on anxiety. My psychotherapist turned out to be AMAZING and the course was great and it was the best thing I have ever done.

So in short, I've spent the last few months working through that stuff and finally now I am in the clear to start TTC, hilariously at exactly the time when I wanted to! But when the doc told me I had to get a handle on it, I thought it would be MONTHS and MONTHS before we could start. But now here we are!

And that concludes my long, boring story on why I was trying to forget about TTC until I could get better. But now I am very glad to be back on the wagon!

I just missed my fertile period for the month, however we did play a little "russian roulette" with it last night.. I guess it could be considered our first try! My iPeriod says I ovulated on Wednesday but I had cramping last weekend so I think we missed the egg. Oh well, we'll see!!

I shall catch up on all and will be excited to read how you've all been going. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    Nomie, Sprinkelle, Lilac- I am not an expert (no kids here) but here is what I have read. I also think you need to make a decision that is best for you and your situation.

Be warned - this is long!
    Thank you so much for such a comprehensive post! You are the best!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Azimuth, that is one of the most helpful posts I've ever read. Thank you so so much for that. I've asked Bupa if they have a similar document.

Elswyth, that is great that you were able to get your anxiety in check before TTC. I would have had the same reaction if my doc told me I had to wait. But I bet you are glad you've done it now, and you probably feel better for it? So exciting that you can start trying soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomie View Post
    Elswyth, that is great that you were able to get your anxiety in check before TTC. I would have had the same reaction if my doc told me I had to wait. But I bet you are glad you've done it now, and you probably feel better for it? So exciting that you can start trying soon!

Thanks Nomie! I feel SO much better having sorted it out, thanks. It was a good move.

You must be getting excited, only a couple of months til July! How fantastic! How is post-wedding bliss?