+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What does/did your husband do to help?

I'm curious... Being a first time mum. What did others' DHs/DPs do to help parent when you brought home a newborn? Been discussing this with my mum, a different generation, and am wondering what it's like for other couples, especially with the first.
    Did your hubby help at night even if he was working? What about sleeping apart if bub is in your room so that he can get sleep? Was he really involved or did that come later? Did he enjoy the boring jobs like nappy changes etc?
    (I'm just trying to get inside my DHs head!! Wondering what other men did!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

DH was amazing!!! He did all the cooking and cleaning and when he went back to work hired a cleaner and still cooked dinner.

Of a night he used to get DD up and change her nappy then over to me for a feed. I didn't change a nappy till he went back to work

Every night when he got home from work, he made me go have a bath/shower while he played with DD and did dinner.

Oh I forgot to say. When we switched to bottles he cleaned and filled them all till she stopped using them.
    Last edited by waterlily; 23-01-2013 at 10:40.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Ex DP changed nappies, cleaned and made bottles. (Of a night even for ages) he did a lot at firsts because of my csection. He was also home a lot in the morning, so I would get too sleep in

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't use the term help, he did his share of the parenting things like

*Showering with bub
    *Dressing bub
    *Doing my share of household chores while I rested or breastfeed ie if dinner needed cooking he would cook it
    *I would sleep (sleep in) and he would get up with bub and just bring them back in when they needed feeding, lay baby next to me, give me a nudge
    *Burp bub

Basically anything that didn't require a boob in the babies mouth, with my first I found I tried to do everything for the baby, even when he tried to help I would take over I wasn't letting them figure out there way of doing things ie I would interrupt when he used more than 1-2 wipes during a nappy change, when he didn't dress or burp the baby the way I did straight away I would take over rather than saying hey hun I find burping him this way works when he doesn't figure it out for himself. I think it's really important to let them figure each other out (and it's cute to watch, as long as the baby isn't screaming blue murder).

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),FearlessLeader  (23-01-2013),ToonZie  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My hubby is lovely and has been awesome whilst for the pregnancy part so far.

I am a little bit nervous about what will happen when we have bubs though. He'll probably only get a week off- two at best. When he goes back to work it will be tough because he's a chef and works roughly 9:30am - 11pm. Usually he has an hour at home during lunch break, but it will be their busy time of year which will mean him working a lot of boat functions and not being home for those break times as much. A little worried!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: What does/did your husband do to help?

My husband was and is fantastic. He jumps in and just does whatever needs doing. He has always bathed the kids, he changes nappies when they need changing and he gets up in the night if I've already been up a couple of times. He makes their lunch on weekends, he takes them out for the day to give me a break, he does bedtime on his own and never complains when I go out to a movie with my bestie (once every few weeks)

It's very equal in our household and I never have to ask him to do something cos he is generally already doing it

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

So interesting. My DH is great, usually. Ever since we were married he always brought me breakfast in bed, we shared house cleaning etc etc. for the first six weeks of bubs life (with a two week stay in hospital for her at 4weeks) he was awesome. Bathed, fed (if she was having a bottle top up not bf obviously) changed etc. in fact, for the first four weeks I probably only changed a handful of nappies.
    But... Now he's started a new job and barely notices DD exists and expects to sleep in a different room so he gets sleep and generally has slacked off. All because of this new job. It's like he's been switched out for another person!! Lol. Funny because when we discussed babies he always was willing to help out.
    I gather your DHs still helped even when working..?? My DH is basically working 12 hour days maybe I'm expecting too much then??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't say 'help' either. To begin with he did everything baby & house related other than feeding her. After a week or so he started working again (works from home), and he's continued to do an amazing amount. He always has her overnight in the office with him so that I can sleep better. He brings her to me for feeds, and otherwise tries to work if/when she sleeps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't say DF helped, I say he did his share. DF was lucky enough to be able to take 12 weeks paid leave from work when DS was born which was awesome! It really gave us a great time as a family to get the hang of everything together. DF cooked, cleaned, changed nappies, made up bottles, fed bottles, showered with DS every night, took DS for a walk every day. DF is a great dad!

Thanks
    Reviews

100% involved since day one. He doesn't need to be asked, just gets in and does what needs doing, with humour and love. For the first year when DD wasn't sleeping through the night he would get up to her until midnight, then it was my shift. I then slept in to around 8am - he got the baby up and attended to her until I woke. It worked fantastically for us and never once did I feel he wasn't pulling his weight. He took to this business of 'new baby' like a duck to water.