+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Castor Oil to induce labour?? 38 weeks, suggestions please

It could just be her body preparing for labour. Just get her to relax and take it easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sounds as though she's in pre/early labour. Don't throw in the towel - her body knows what it's doing, and these early contractions are an important part of the process. It's perfectly ok for labour to stop and start like this early on, and it can go on for days like that.

Her body is working up to it, and when the hormonal cocktail is right between her and baby, things will fire up. In the mean time, she needs patience, your love and touch, understanding, and lots of sleep.

Try to ignore all of this for as long as you can, focusing on it just makes the labour seem longer and harder than it needs to be.

And stay away from the castor oil. It's generally bad news for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Castor Oil to induce labour?? 38 weeks, suggestions please

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Please don't use it there has been no research to say whether it is safe or not and there have been links to it causing fetal distress. As a previous poster has said it can cause diarrhea (which is the general idea) but this can leave your wife dehydrated and exhausted (imagine trying to labour during a bout of gastro).
    I also wouldn't use it ... It's not recommended at all

Can u try a breast pump or nipple stimulation or something else !!

Thanks
    Reviews

By te way my ob gave me a self given disposable enema type thing last time cus when i went in for my routine appt she said I was dilating/having strong contractions etc and as soon as I emptied my bowels baby would have the room to move down lower so u could try that ... Or just wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by newmummy2010 View Post
    By te way my ob gave me a self given disposable enema type thing last time cus when i went in for my routine appt she said I was dilating/having strong contractions etc and as soon as I emptied my bowels baby would have the room to move down lower so u could try that ... Or just wait.
    This thread is a month old, I'm pretty sure the baby would have been born by now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I surely hope so, but people do look at older posts for advice too without having to post their own question, so I was happy to give some input ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried it with two pregnancies.
    First I was 39 weeks and 3 days. I had a dosage of about 5mL every 30mins for about 3-4 hours.
    I didn't have any nausea or vomiting, but I was going to the toilet a lot. I had my last dose of the oil just after lunch, started having contractions at 8pm which stopped at 10pm, stopped going to the toilet around the same time. I then went to bed woke up at 2am with contractions, had my baby at 6am perfectly healthy.

Second time I was 37 weeks and 5 days.
    Had a dose of 50mL in one hit.
    Horrible nausea explosive vomiting, horrible cramps and diarrhea, lasted for about 8 hours. No uterine contractions and No baby.

I would say if you ARE going to try it, wait til you are overdue (40 weeks plus) and take it in low gradual dosage, and yes try other methods first. The time it worked for me I was also having a lot of sex and going for long walks so it could very well have been that...