+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Castor Oil to induce labour?? 38 weeks, suggestions please

My partner is very uncomfortable, has a pains since last night but only comes in waves. First time parents, we aren't sure if these are contractions or Brixton hicks? Only last for a max of 15-20secs. Has had minimal pains for the last 9 hours. Has anyone found castor oil works?? Any suggestions would be great thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It works BUT you need to be very careful with the dosages because it will leave you on the toilet, in agony, for hours and with severe runs. I think if your partner is having pains it very well may be starting on it's own anyway, let nature take it's course IMO when we begin to intervene that is when problems occur. JMO

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Please don't use it there has been no research to say whether it is safe or not and there have been links to it causing fetal distress. As a previous poster has said it can cause diarrhea (which is the general idea) but this can leave your wife dehydrated and exhausted (imagine trying to labour during a bout of gastro).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-01-2013),Busy-Bee  (26-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Castor Oil to induce labour?? 38 weeks, suggestions please

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Please don't use it there has been no research to say whether it is safe or not and there have been links to it causing fetal distress. As a previous poster has said it can cause diarrhea (which is the general idea) but this can leave your wife dehydrated and exhausted (imagine trying to labour during a bout of gastro).
    This. I wouldnt use it ever....especially if your body is already preparing to go into labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It doesn't always work, by any means! Labouring with the runs would be awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

I wouldn't use it. I would be more inclined to get some clary sage oil and sniff it or burn some in an oil burner. It helped my contractions amp up a little when I was in early labour with DS2.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

If she is having pains then let her body do it naturally. If you force your body to give birth before its ready anything could happen. She only has a few weeks left just wait it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    dont use it. it will only make you run to the toilet. it will irritate your uterus not induce labour

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh god, I was 41 weeks when I used it and it was horrible!!
    My midwife actually suggested it to me, she swears by it.
    But it didn't work for me! I ended up on the toilet for 2 hours! It tastes revulting and if I got a whiff of it now I think I'd throw up!
    I did get cramps afterwards but I think that was my upset bowel lol
    I still had to be induced a few days later so I highly don't recommend it!
    Just try lots of walking, sex and spicy stuff. Bub will come when he/she is ready :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok thank you for your feedback, pains have stopped she has been pain free for the past 11 hours so we aren't too sure on what's going on?