+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What are some desk jobs that pay well?

I want to go back to uni and start a new career (currently a registered nurse and whilst i enjoy it I think I could be happier doing something else)
    I love computers, filing, typing etc. so I think some sort of desk job would be perfect for me, but i would preferably like something that pays quite well. I don't really enjoy maths so I think accounting would be out. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Graphic Design?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Have you thought of using your degree of what you have to become say a manager of a nursing home or something like that?? I can't think of the names I'm having a massive blow out today of remembering things LOL or clinical nurse who does more paper work than actual nursing but still involved in helping??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Or a case manager? This is what I want to do as I know too many people fall through the gaps with there care plans, tcp packages etc.. I want to try and make a difference and the money is really good!

TrulyBlessed is offline Winner 2009 - Member you would most like to meet in Real Life
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

A care manager of a nursing home would be good. Plenty of paperwork for you there and using your skills you have already

Thanks
    Reviews

That's not a bad idea monnie! See that's where my problem is, I'm excellent at documentation, care plans, fluid balance charts etc, but I spend so much time meticulously filling it all out I'm forgetting other things I should be doing! I would really enjoy something like that, I'm just not sure how to go about it. Perhaps talk to the career advisor at the hospital and see what they suggest? At least that would save me paying off another HECS debt lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TrulyBlessed View Post
    A care manager of a nursing home would be good. Plenty of paperwork for you there and using your skills you have already
    I would like that too as I love old people

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What are some desk jobs that pay well?

ICU nurse?! I used to love my fluid balance charts etc and in icu you actually have time to do them as you only have one patient! Although, maybe you are already! I moved to another specialty within nursing and now am an anum, I do lots of rosters, timesheets, meetings, etc. predominantly desk based, occasionally I go down to the clinical area to help out for 30 mins or so if they are busy. Is there any chance for promotion or movement into education for your area? If you're wanting to totally retrain, what about law or nutrition/dietetics (to keep it medical). There's opportunities for nurses in things like private insurance, as an assessor etc. or with dhs or another gvt dpmt. Are you are midwife? What about mchn? Or are you wanting to get away from pt contact altogether?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Veggiemama, I actually was very interested in ICU and did apply, but I got children's ward instead! I do love working there, especially with children, and its not the patient contact that I dislike, it's more the very busy, chaotic, unorganised theme that all wards seem to have. I prefer to work at my own pace rather than be rushed. It wasn't too bad when I first started nursing, it was a lot calmer and I loved having that one on one time with my patients, but in the last few years because of staff cutbacks and increasing amount of patients every day just seems to be hectic! The stress just makes me miserable, whereas other nurses seem to thrive on it. And then when it is that busy, the patients or parents start complaining and being rude because they are not getting enough patient care (which is fair enough) but I don't deal well with people treating me like that! Argh, rant over lol yes so I would love a sort of behind the scenes job in the hospital, or working in a child health clinic, but every time I try and talk to somebody about it they never get back to me, or I apply for a position and get knocked back.
    I'm just not sure what to do, as I'm not happy but it seems incredibly difficult to find a position that would suit me!

Thanks
    Reviews

Health information management - or more specifically clinical coding.
    If you speak to the manager or one if the coders in medical records where you work, they will be able to show/explain what it is properly. It deals with the admin & data side of the hospital with a lot of funding stuff thrown in for fun.

I find it to be well paid, flexible and interesting. And there is a fair bit of work around as ere is a shortage of coders aus wide.