+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you love about bottle feeding?

Thanks for this
    i still feel that i need to justify why DD was bottle fed. so many people inc strangers used to ask "is she brest or bottle fed"... whos business is it anyway?!
    Iv even had some people say to me how bad bottle feeding is and that young mums always take the easy route ( dd was prem, I has issues with my supply, mixed fed from birth, express milk for 6months... Totally the easy route hey?)

Anyways
    I think the best thing about bottle feeding, would be that dp got to share that "bond" with DD as well
    I have some awesome photos of dp feeding DD when she was 24hrs old, the connection was so sweet

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mummabearr For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Prior to pregnancy I was on medication that I couldn't take whilst pregnant or BF. I stopped the medication and knew that I may need the medication after DD was born and in the best intentions, decided to FF.

When DD was just born, I didn't require the medication and decided to try and BF. I told the MW I would like try to BF and she told me that because I had planned on going back on my medication that it was pointless to BF and gave me a bottle.

I felt pressured to FF, but did as everyone was directing me so. It hurt because of my want to BF but I saw benefits of FF feeding and it's what I had planned. Like DP could help with feeding shifts. I'm quite shy and would of been nervous BF in public. I liked the convenience for me and our lives and the routine we had.

I'm not one of those people who thinks either/or is better and pushes that. I am a believer that you do what is the best for your situation and preference.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: What do you love about bottle feeding?

I loved knowing that when I bottle feed my bub he was getting a full tummy. I was trying to breastfeed him for the first few weeks and in the first few days in hospital he had lost lots of weight. One night a nurse suggested a tiny bit of formula in a bottle and he gobbled it up and was so content and happy and drunk on the milk I cried..thinking that he must have been so hungry. I just loved knowing he was getting enough milk and was happy

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummakat For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure if this is allowed, because I'm currently breastfeeding, but can I just say I am SOOOO jealous of most of these points!! Hahaha. Sigh...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013),kat10  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 11-09-2013 at 14:29.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Love hearing these replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummabearr View Post
    i still feel that i need to justify why DD was bottle fed. so many people inc strangers used to ask "is she brest or bottle fed"...
    I would smile and reply - "Just look at her, can't you tell?..."

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (23-01-2013),felicita  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),Purple Lily  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't read all the replies so probably doubling up, but here it is....

- I can eat and drink what I want

- I don't have to wear nursing clothes

- I can feed anywhere any time and not miss out on the action by being on my own as I fed DD

- my DH can help out with the feeds

- DD could have soy formula so no need for me to cut out all dairy (she is intolerant)

- no pain an discomfort with DD fussing and pulling off all the time.

- no need to use a breast pump

- can leave DD with family while we get some valuable couples time alone

- my DD is getting all of the nutrition she needs, without me needing to eat a wholey healthy and balanced diet.

- I can see how much DD is drinking

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Fully agree with Regina!!

Breastfeeding is obviously great for bonding, but I'll never forget the first time I 'felt' my DD 'see' me. Hard to explain, but we were looking in each others eyes while I gave her a bottle and I just 'felt' something I had never felt when BF her or even her brother. When I BF I could never see their eyes.

The thing I loved most about bottle feeding was feeling prepared any time. Isn't that ironic? At 4 months my milk just stops. Nothing helps. I made the cookies, I took the fenugreek, the motillium, I pumped after every feed, I set alarms to get up in the middle of the night. She still had dry nappies, and gained 40g in a good week. She is still small for her age (though very tall) and I remember the nights I cried, worrying 'what if today was the day her xyz developed and she didn't get enough. Now she is delayed'. What a mind game.
    I would panic when she was hungry that it hasn't been long enough and there wouldn't be enough. When I added bottle feeds in I felt so happy and comfortable and prepared.

I don't identify myself as being one or the other, and I'm glad this section is here because I can now reminisce about the beauties of both!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karinaxoxo View Post
    OMG... I just cried reading this post. I am a new mum to a 7 week old boy (who was 9 weeks preemie & not even meant to be born yet)
    he only came home from hospital last week. While he was in NICU and the SCN I was doing 3 BF a day, and expressing. I had every intention of BF when I got home - but I was ssiooooooo stressed he wasn't getting enough, and with some of Sydney hottest days I was getting so flushed trying to BF Him with no air con.
    He is also on thickener & Meds so before every BF he has to have some expressed milk in a bottle.
    i made the decision to stop BF because of how stressed it made me. I am bottle feeding him my EBM (I have a freezer full of it from when he was very young and was only on a few mls every hour). However once this runs out... I will be changing to formula.
    I have been struggling with the guilt of this - so THANK YOU ladies for showing it is OK to bottle feed/FF.

this is my first time in the forum too, so apologies for any mistakes
    It is absolutely okay xxx

It sounds as if you've done an amazing job! Whatever decision you make for you and your little boy is the right one.

"Mother guilt" is an awful thing, and it can creep in about so many things. The most important thing is that you love your little boy and you are looking after him (which includes giving him food of some kind). Those first couple of months are so hard. You have all the hormones from birth to contend with, and then all the opinions on what you 'should' or 'shouldn't' be doing. It's a very stressful and emotional time.

I remember going through that, and I look at my little 2.5yr old girl now, and think how much time I wasted feeling that way. She's very healthy, intelligent, and has always been ahead developmentally. There is nothing I would change about her at all. Formula worked for us.

(And I'm not trying to imply you are wasting time feeling how you are, btw! Those feelings are very understandable, and I think a lot of us have been there. Just trying to say that a day may come when you look at your boy and think that actually he is absolutely perfect, and that you didn't need to put so much pressure on yourself. )