+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What do you love about bottle feeding?

I'll start by pointing out that this is in the 'celebrate bottlefeeding' section, a place for those who (for whatever reason) bottlefeed and want to talk to others who do. This is not a place for breast vs bottle debate, as there are other areas in the forum for that. This is a 'safe' place for those who bottlefeed to talk about anything related to it.

Without going in to a huge back story, I bottlefed DD formula for most of the first year. I tried to BF when she was born, but was not able to continue with this, so she was on formula from a few weeks onward.

It was a very hard time for me emotionally, as I had not intended to FF her. I felt that I constantly had to explain and justify what I was doing, and I am sure that the situation contributed to the mild PND I experienced for most of her first year.

Aside from all the hormones and upset, there were things that I actually really liked about bottlefeeding her. However, I almost felt as if I wasn't 'allowed' to say it or, if I did, that I had to preface it with 'of course BF is best, but...' instead of just saying how I felt.

I believe that if a mother has to, or chooses to, formula or bottle feed then she (like breastfeeding mums) should also be supported and celebrated.

I'll say this here once, as it's the first thread, but won't mention it again in this section. I absolutely support breastfeeding. But, beyond that, I support mothers who feed their children - however they do it.

So, without need for prefacing or justifying... What things did you/ do you LIKE about bottle or formula feeding? Here are mine:

It was convenient. I found it easy to make up a flask of formula at the start of the day, and keep it in the fridge.

Anyone could feed DD. DH loved being able to feed her, as did the grandparents.

The cuddles. I loved the feeding cuddles, and gazing in to her big blue eyes, without pain, worry, struggles.

It didn't involve my body. No leaking, no clothes restrictions, no discomfort.

Wine

Life felt 'normal' again. I could go to work (which I did for a while, part time), be out all day/ evening without having to think about the need to feed, play sport, etc.

DD was happy and healthy, and gained weight.

I'm sure there are more things that I've forgotten! What about you?

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-01-2013),babynomad  (23-01-2013),Boobycino  (23-01-2013),Cinderella82  (05-02-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),darla87  (23-01-2013),Euphrosyne  (23-01-2013),FearlessLeader  (23-01-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (23-01-2013),Izzys Dragon  (23-01-2013),kat10  (23-01-2013),LiterallyNoOne  (29-03-2014),MuminMind  (23-01-2013),Nic86  (23-01-2013),Purple Lily  (23-01-2013),risfaerie  (23-01-2013),smeekyone  (30-03-2014),Urban Tumbleweed  (23-01-2013),wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: What do you love about bottle feeding?

Once I got over the hurt that I couldn't continue breastfeeding, I loved that dh could feed dd. It made him feel productive when he could leave me sleeping in the morning and sneak off with dd to feed her.
    I loved that if we were having a night away, I didn't have to spend the days before trying to express enough.
    I loved that if I was sick, I didn't have to use the small amount of energy that I had producing bm and then trying to latch her.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thank you for this

I didn't get to bf ds2 for long, no problem on my side he just didn't want it As soon as we changed to bottles? OMG! Happy, happy, happy baby.

So things I loved:

Anyone could prepare the bottle and feed him.

Anyone feeding him could experience that 'your so perfect' feeling while looking at bub.

I was more 'free'. Even getting out to do grocery shopping (woo!). No limit on time, worry about feeds.

Not having to feel like I should 'hide' when bub was feeding. No-one should feel like that or have to but that's how I felt with ds1 (bf) a lot. When out if he needed a feed in the middle of the shops no problem!

I'm sure there's many more but that's what comes to mind at the moment. Thanks again.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-01-2013),kat10  (23-01-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I think the time that I most cherished bottlefeeding was when I was leaning over the toilet bowl, emptying the contents of my tummy for the umpteenth time that da,y due to the worst gastro I had ever had and feeling like absolute death. I remember thinking that I was so glad I was bottlefeeding because I simply could not look after a baby or breastfeed that day.

Being able to wear underwire bras.
    Take medication without having to worry.
    Eat and drink what I want without worry.
    DF could share night feeds.
    Not restricted to breastfeeding tops (I know this doesn't apply to all bf mums but I was more comfortable wearing bf tops when bf'ing DD)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay!

I'm pretty much the same as you Girl X. I also had intended to breast feed. DS was FF most of the first year also and the acceptance of this was difficult. There is very little if any support for mothers in these instances. Had it not been for a wonderful MCHN who explained to me the impact of being induced, emergency c-section, post partum haemorrhage I also feel I would have headed down the PND path. These things were not explained to me in hospital, leaving me feel as though I wasn't trying hard enough even after 3 different lactations consultants and numerous midwives all giving me conflicting information.

So, things I love and celebrate about bottle feeding:

- DH and I could share all aspects of caring for DS, he was able to both enjoy and loathe the midnight feeds, 2am feeds and the gentle stroking of your hand DS would do as he had his bottle.

- I felt I had my body back, this was big for me - after a shocking pregnancy and even worse labour, I began to feel in control of my own body again.

- friends and family were able to be part of feeding DS also, they loved being able to do this.

- for me it was very convenient, I got a great routine down and we're just starting to pack all his bottles away this week (he's on a sippy cup) and I do feel a little bit melancholy.

- and naturally wine

There's lots to celebrate with bottle feeding and I think had I not found like minded mothers on bubhub in the early days, such as your story Girl X, I would have felt more alone.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I loved that I knew how much she was drinking. Being our first, we were obsessed with this

That DH could be involved and have time to bond with her so he wasn't feeling left out.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),siennasyummymummyxxx  (29-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and wine

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

For me it's the feeling of freedom I get, that wherever I am and wherever bub is they will get fed.

My dd was comp fed due to supply issues. I struggled with giving her formula at first but it really was the best thing for us. She gained heaps of weight, slept like a champ, and built a really beautiful bond with dh once she started on the bottle.

Ds is 5 months and refuses to take a bottle. I know I should be grateful that bf is going well and will probably get flamed for this post. But I feel so stressed out every time I'm out without him. If I'm grocery shopping and he's home with dh I rush around panicking and forget most of the shopping. I'm also stressing big time about going back to work.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kat10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Another one who loves watching DF feeding! And what's really awesome is that if the girls wake early & he's awake/hears them first he'll feed them & let me sleep.

We let DS feed DD2 the other day. He loved it because there's not much he can do with them & he was excited to be able to help out.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I had the same experience as many of you and was gutted when BFing didn't work for us. DS has been FF since 4 weeks. I did however get over it pretty quickly as I was in excruciating pain with BFing and was so grateful that was finally over.

I had also started to be afraid of DS waking for a feed so as you can imagine I was glad when that stopped and I could finally enjoy my beautiful boy.

Other things I like about it:

- other people doing feeds! Love that! Meant I got waaay more sleep than I would otherwise which made everything easier to deal with

- wine

- convenience. Being able to feed wherever and whenever. Obviously BFing mums can do this too, but I'm talking about in the car seat while someone else is driving lol. Lifesaver sometimes!

- wine

- much quicker than BFing (for us anyway)

- bodily autonomy. I know it sounds awful but I really liked just having my boobs and body back to myself. I think this is just because the experience was so traumatic though.

- wine

- easy to see how much they were getting (many of my BFing friends used to stress a lot about this and I really felt for them as I liked knowing what he was getting

- wine. I know BFing mums can have a glass of wine or two... But I think I must consume a lot more than the average mum lol! And I love an afternoon cider with lunch, for example.

- I also like having my little boobs back! Although they are definitely not as perky!

I am going to give BF a damn hard go again next time though. I was induced three weeks early and had a pretty horrible labour and a PPH which I 100% know affected BFing for me. I won't let that happen again unless its really necessary (which it wasn't this time).

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),kat10  (23-01-2013)