+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lactation consultant Melbourne, recommendation anyone? Nipple confusion!!

I have a 2 1/2 week old baby who has nipple confusion post phototherapy resulting in hydration by bottle in hospital. My supply has been a problem which is slowly resolving with medication and regular expressing. My baby refuses the breast infact he is so happy at all other times I dread trying with him because it upsets him. I desperately would like to bf but need help to make it 1. Possible and 2 pleasant for him. Does anyone have any good experiences with private LC? I've seen 2 who were great but not ones you can spend significant time with, and that was over a week ago. Now my milk has improved so at least there's something to learn with. If I can't bf I going to try expressing for 6 months which I can only imagine will be a nightmare. Any recommendations? G( I live in inner north) Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Beta,

I am also in the inner North. My local ABA group is lead by a great LC. Her name is Simone Casey, I will FB message her and ask for contact details for you. I will PM you when I have them. In the meantime call the ABA as they should be able to put you in touch with some.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Beta  (22-01-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lactation consultant Melbourne, recommendation anyone? Nipple confusion!!

Hello,

check out MAMA in Kensington.

They have a lactation consultant among other things relating to pregnancy and baby. I saw them with the birth of my DS and they are lovely. Parts are Medicare covered too.

http://midwivesandmothers.com.au/

Thanks
    Reviews

I've heard good things about Constance Brown who is based in Doncaster. She also works at mercy women's.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Lactation consultant Melbourne, recommendation anyone? Nipple confusion!!

This is not private but Heather ( think her last name is woods) from box hill south community centre is amazing. I went 2 times a week for the first 3 weeks then once a week for another 3 weeks. She will spend as long as you need and will see you as often as you need.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Lactation consultant Melbourne, recommendation anyone? Nipple confusion!!

Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    I've heard good things about Constance Brown who is based in Doncaster. She also works at mercy women's.
    I saw her at the mercy the other week! She was nice, although I was tired and emotional and she commented on my dd's weight, saying she looked small for dates etc and had me in floods of tears in minutes!! She was very nice, knew her stuff, I saw her for free though the hospital, not sure if i'd rush out to pay for her though... Is there an lc you can see at the hospital where you delivered?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have not seen the LC at MAMA but I saw a midwife through there who was great and helped with a couple of bf issues. I also saw Lisa Amir and Anita bearzatto (???) at medical One at QVB, they are both GPs who are also LC, I saw them for tongue tie but I'm pretty sure they do other BF stuff and you get some back from Medicare. They were both really good but Lisa has a very long wait.

Thanks
    Reviews

Many thanks everyone.. I've booked into 2 days with LC one with city council & one with hospital.. Spoke to LC over the phone who was more helpful in 5 min than anything so far.. Joined the ABA, hired a hospital grade double pump, did 2 lots of skin 2 skin and breast crawl today so feeling like I'm a bit more set up. Thanks again at the very least my expressing is much more doable and if my little man attaches eventually I'll be over the moon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Ahhh I love her articles and blogs. Awesome option! At least you know where her passion lies before you even meet her (and I know all LC's in theory should be passionate about breastfeeding but I have met too many who are not... )
    Yes and she's an amazing support at our little gatherings! 😄

11. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (25-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Good luck! Keep us posted. Would love to know how you go. I know the lc at my hospital would see us again even after we left but I guess that depends on the hospital.