+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to calculate recipe calories

I am trying to watch what I eat and have started exercising. I need to be able to calculate, based on the ingredients used, the calories for dinner dishes, biscuits, myo juices etc. Does anyone do this and if so is there a site to do it for me? I tried to find something but none are very good so far, like I can find coconut flour but will only accept quantities of tablespoons when the recipe calls for cups.

Thanks
    Reviews

I use my fitness pal app. I find it pretty good. You can enter in the ingredients and it calculates the calories per serving for you. You can scan barcodes in too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My fitness pal for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews

I record my food with My Fitness Pal but find the Calorie King MUCH easier to use to find calories in individual ingredients for recipes.

The calories all vary on MFP because people enter their own etc. Calorie King will just give you one amount that's accurate (taken from the packaging). It also usually allows you to choose from a number of different measures (cups, tablespoons, grams).

I take that information for each recipe, add it up and then enter a recipe on My Fitness Pal for future use

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't tried the MFP app to compare but the au Calorie King website is awesome.

If you're not logged in you can still search their database and everything can be entered as grams (if recipe calls for cups, weigh the cupful to get the grams).

If you log in you can use the food diary to enter whole meals etc. You can enter a family meal (eg. lasagne) using all the ingredients you use to make it, save it as a meal and select a portion size (eg. 1/8th of the whole recipe).

I lost about 10kgs before my wedding just by using their site to diarise what I'd eat (or plan to eat, then change my mind when I saw how many calories!) each day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awesome, thanks. I should have mentioned I do use mfp but didn't know it did that but will definitely check out calorie king. Sometimes i get a shock too when i realise what I've eaten when i go to enter it! Hot bod here I come
    Last edited by Little_P; 22-01-2013 at 20:16.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Another who uses the myfitnesspal really easy to use