+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Banana smoothies in Rice Milk, sardines, tuna and salmon, sago cooked in water then mix puree fruit through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    Thanks! I might see if I can buy some co-yo for him to try before I go all out and whip up a science experiment in my kitchen!
    This is the yoghurt recipe I found
    http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_...rt-recipe.html
    I was thinking I'd be able to use dairy-free inner health plus? My brother makes his own yoghurt, so he has offered to give me a few tips.

And last night I was thinking about mayo- I said to DH that I should make him a potato and bacon salad with mayo to see if he likes it!

Thanks again- will let you know if I have success with my science experiment!

Just as a side note, please be a bit careful with Co-Yo. I have a lactose intolerance (pretty severe) and Co-Yo has given me the exact reaction I have to lactose the few times that I've tried it! I have friends who have been trying to determine from the makers of Co-Yo if it really is dairy free etc but they haven't given them a straight answer yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Good foods for dairy-intolerant toddler who needs to gain weight?

Quote Originally Posted by lones View Post
    Just as a side note, please be a bit careful with Co-Yo. I have a lactose intolerance (pretty severe) and Co-Yo has given me the exact reaction I have to lactose the few times that I've tried it! I have friends who have been trying to determine from the makers of Co-Yo if it really is dairy free etc but they haven't given them a straight answer yet!
    Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Banana smoothies in Rice Milk, sardines, tuna and salmon, sago cooked in water then mix puree fruit through
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

So I just got back from the shops- I've bought soy yoghurt, tahini, hommus, custard powder, protein enriched rice milk, flaxseed oil, coconut milk, coconut oil, salmon, mango and coconut ice blocks (smooze brand), raisin toast, sultanas, Paradise jam fancies biscuit (dairy-free!) and smooth peanut butter (I figured since DD is only allergic to tree nuts I'd give it a go).
    Am going to bake Anzac slice with the coconut oil, and make some coconut and banana muffins.
    Lots of things to try- thanks for all the suggestions!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Good foods for dairy-intolerant toddler who needs to gain weight?

If you are doubtful about peanut butter, eskal do a free-nut butter, it's made from roasted sunflower seeds.

Thanks
    Reviews

So, the jam fancies biscuits are a hit, as are the mango and coconut ice blocks.

I made him salmon for lunch today, which he basically threw on the floor bit by bit.

Gave him a finger of toast with peanut butter after his weetbix this morning- he had a bit of a gnaw on it, but it ended up on the floor too. But no rashes, so I think he's fine with it. DD is fine with peanuts, it's just tree nuts she's allergic to, so maybe I was being overly cautious with the peanut butter.

Oh, and I gave him a couple of spoons of soy yoghurt this afternoon, and no eczema on his face afterwards, which is a great sign.

Operation "Fatten Up" has begun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update for anyone who's interested- we had a weigh-in yesterday and he's gained 400gm in 3 months, which is the best gain he's had since he was 9 months. Interestingly, it was late January that I night-weaned him, so perhaps he was filling up on BM rather than food.
    Still just over the 10th%, but DH and I were both little kids, and my DD's are too, so I'm not concerned about where he is on the charts.
    We tried the coconut yoghurt from the health food shop and it's so yummy! But at $10 a tub, I don think I'll be buying it often. My brother makes his own yoghurt and has offered to help my try to make the coconut yoghurt. I've found a local store that sells vegan starters, so I just need to get myself organised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great news!

Yeah, the coconut yoghurt is very expensive to say the least. Making yoghurt is actually pretty easy, I've done it lots of times. Unfortunately coconut yoghurt is still expensive to make at home, but no way near as much as the store bought stuff.

Thanks for the update, it's always nice to hear how things go.