+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Good foods for dairy-intolerant toddler who needs to gain weight?

How about salmon? That's full of the good fats it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job trying to include lots of healthy foods into his diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It's dairy protein we have to avoid. Both my girls have had issues with dairy, so I'm an old pro at label reading and avoiding even traces of dairy. I've even been dairy- free myself while breastfeeding my youngest two. But both girls gained weight, so I've never had to worry about finding calorie-rich, dairy-free foods before!
    I'll try salmon- I think he'll be more inclined to eat if it's fresh, rather than canned- he has point blank refused all tinned tuna we've offered him! I was also thinking of experimenting and trying to make coconut milk yoghurt- does that sound completely ridiculous?!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Coconut milk yoghurt sounds intriguing - let us know how it goes. I make DS risotto using coconut milk and usually serve it with stewed fruit, do no sugar needed. Best of luck!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Good foods for dairy-intolerant toddler who needs to gain weight?

I was thinking if trying coconut milk yoghurt too. I need nutritious snacks to send to prep with dd1 (df/Wf/additive free). I was reading the other day how to easily make your own coconut milk, and then use that to make yoghurt. I need a df starter tho.
    So yes I would be most interested in comparing notes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have made coconut yoghurt before and it is YUM!

I'll see if I can find the link for the starter I use...

Here it is: http://shop.gapsaustralia.com.au/gi-...rter-24-grams/

Pretty expensive, but you use such a tiny bit that it will last a verrrrry long time. You can also use some of the previous batch of yoghurt as a starter so that should stretch it out even futher.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Good foods for dairy-intolerant toddler who needs to gain weight?

Also have you considered mayonnaise & oils? Dd1 eats fish/rice/sweetcorn with a tblsp of mayo, and I add olive oil into certain dishes (she is gf so her diet is very high gi, the oil helps there)
    ETA the mayo & sweetcorn tone down the tuna taste but it would work with salmon too

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of health food shops also stock a coconut yoghurt called 'co-yo'. It is extremely expensive but is delicious and very convenient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I've been making ice blocks all summer for DS as snacks - just blend coconut milk with pineapple or kiwi and freeze in ice block moulds - also try cooking with coconut oil and I splash flax seed oil over veggies and meats

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks! I might see if I can buy some co-yo for him to try before I go all out and whip up a science experiment in my kitchen!
    This is the yoghurt recipe I found
    http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_...rt-recipe.html
    I was thinking I'd be able to use dairy-free inner health plus? My brother makes his own yoghurt, so he has offered to give me a few tips.

And last night I was thinking about mayo- I said to DH that I should make him a potato and bacon salad with mayo to see if he likes it!

Thanks again- will let you know if I have success with my science experiment!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I've been making ice blocks all summer for DS as snacks - just blend coconut milk with pineapple or kiwi and freeze in ice block moulds - also try cooking with coconut oil and I splash flax seed oil over veggies and meats
    I'd forgotten about flaxseed oil- will have to get some. And I'm sure ice-blocks would go down a treat!