+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Good foods for dairy-intolerant toddler who needs to gain weight?

DS is 14 months old and dairy intolerant. We discovered at his 12 month immunisations that he hadn't gained weight in the previous 3 months, and he's only gained 100g in the last 2 months. Currently he's hovering just above the 10% for weight.
    He eats well, lots of fruit and veggies, rice, pasta, meat and chicken, bread, crackers, weetbix with rice milk for breakfast, homemade dairy free muffins, etc. He still breastfeeds 4 times a day.
    He's not that keen on avocado, but I use it instead of butter on sandwiches, I want to avoid nuts since DD1 has nut allergies, and so far he's refused tuna.
    Any other food suggestions I can try to help him gain weight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about things like beans and chickpeas, tofu, soy cheese. I believe olives are a good source of natural fats.

Thanks
    Reviews

We haven't given him any soy yet, but the paed suggested I try it today. He was soy intolerant as a newborn, so fingers crossed he's ok with it now. Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    sounds similar to my DD.

She is now doing well...still low on the charts but, someone has to be down the bottom so don't stress too much.

She loves fresh veges, lean meat, pastas, salad....not great when trying to get them to gain weight but great for nutritional needs!

We use nuttlex instead of butter for cooking so do lots of cakey/muffin things...carrot and zuchini muffins have been popular for a while now.

She drinks soy milk and we use that as a milk substitute.

Once the dairy got out of her system (about 1 month) and her tummy settled down....it became clear that even though she was little, she was hitting all milestones and was very healthy and active so we just kept up with 4 meals a day plus snacks and a cup of soy milk at bedtime and she slowly gained weight.

There are some OK dairy free biscuits on the market...we use Savoy's as a cracker...and I just found out last night that Oreo's are dairy free....not sure if I will let her have those just yet though (she is 2 1/2 lol)!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Good foods for dairy-intolerant toddler who needs to gain weight?

Vitasoy do a protein-enriched rice milk (uht), it's bulked out with chickpeas. It's not suitable as a complete food but we use it where we can to get those extra calories in, eg pancakes. Every little bit makes a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A local butcher used to make some lovely sausages that had no dairy, soy or preservatives. When my extremly allergic to everything ds was about the same age I discovered he could tolerate sausages... He was down to the 5th percentile and sausages helped fatten him up. He is 3 and a half now and on the 50th percentile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Banana, eggs, chickpeas, lentils, meats? When we were trying to put weight on my DD she ate lots of frittata. We also added olive oil to everything.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sausages, potato chips as snacks (smiths original are soy and dairy free I believe) I was going to suggest lots of peanut butter sandwiches but I see he's not having nuts. I would suggest lots of cakes and slices using nutlex and rice milk.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks all! Lots of suggestions there to try.
    To be honest, my main concern is more that he's just not putting on weight, rather than the fact he's on the lower end of the charts. But he's happy and meeting all his other milestones.
    Thanks again for all the ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Good foods for dairy-intolerant toddler who needs to gain weight?

It's it dairy or lactose?
    My ds is lactose intolerant and we have chewable tablets he takes before eating dairy. Means he is able to eat lots of things I would have to cut out otherwise.
    We still restrict the amount though.
    There are dairy free chocolate and biscuits. I make soy cakes and muffins with the chocolate crushed.
    Smoothies are a good snack and can be made more fattening with a protein powder.
    Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub