+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Angry centrelink debt

hi
    how is it possible for you to end up with a centrelink debt 2 yrs later, when i thought they pauid you the child care rebate /benefit based on your tax for that year, i have just recieved a bill for the 2011 yr ending and 2012 yr ending.. anyone. its about $7k in total, can i pay it off as well. i havent got that sort of money, im so upset

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Did you over estimate your income for those two years? Once they get the amount you earned from the ATO they balance it up to see you got the amount that you should have got.

You can pay it off over time. You would need to call up and make a payment arrangement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: centrelink debt

I got a call to say there's been an error on their systems that's bringing up debts that aren't real and issues everywhere that it'll be sorted out. Maybe call them and find out if that's effected you too?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would be calling up and making sure it is correct!

Thanks
    Reviews
    im still confused though, we got our tax done, that was sent to centrelink then we got our end of year rebate , so how can they overpay you when its based on that years income..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They do make mistakes quite often so give them a call would be your best bet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default centrelink debt

Oh that is so annoying, I feel for you as I have been in that situation when I was a student. I would call them, they have to give you all of the evidence, they cannot just request the money without proving why you owe it. In my case, it was a processing error on their side, but I still had to pay it back as I had still received money I wasn't entitled to. As a student I never questioned the money because I trusted they knew what they were doing. They can work out a payment plan. Keep all records for 7 years, this is the legal magic number for records!
    Asides from CCR, I refuse to have anything to do with centre link, I have overestimated our income by $100k just do they won't pre-pay me any money then want it back in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by toddler06 View Post
    im still confused though, we got our tax done, that was sent to centrelink then we got our end of year rebate , so how can they overpay you when its based on that years income..
    That doesn't sound right. My understanding was you don't get the rebate until they have reconciled. I would definitely call centrelink to try and find out more information. Good luck

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Were you getting FTB payments throughout the year? Your fortnightly FTB payments are based on the estimated yearly income you gave them. So if you underestimated your income, and were getting over paid slightly each fortnight, then when you did your tax at the end of the year and they realised they'd been overpaying you throughout the year, they make you pay that back.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Were you getting FTB payments throughout the year? Your fortnightly FTB payments are based on the estimated yearly income you gave them. So if you underestimated your income, and were getting over paid slightly each fortnight, then when you did your tax at the end of the year and they realised they'd been overpaying you throughout the year, they make you pay that back.
    But wouldn't they realise there had been an over-payment once they received the info from the tax office? Then in turn advise Op, not 2 years later?

I agree with what you're saying. It's just the time delay is a bit much.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub