+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you!

I happen to think you're both very awesome women too. This is a thread full of very very awesome women!

And it's something I feel very strongly about. I'm reading most of these posts nodding, agreeing, and sometimes getting a bit teary.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (23-01-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (23-01-2013),Madame Mayhem  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New Celebrate Bottlefeeding section

I am a breastfeeder, I celebrate it, encourage it in others and try to offer support to those who struggle with it.

I also have fed my DS formula and EBM at different times including his 1st week of life.

I support this new section because I have friends that I cherish who have battled with bf and switched to ff, also those who when unable to bf successfully have managed to feed EBM for 8 months and still going!

Even more traumatic than these I have one friend who has struggled to get her DS to feed at all! He has been tube fed directly to his stomach for much of his 15 months as this was the only way to get nutrition into him.
    When they eventually had success at getting him to take a bottle and then solids we all celebrated!!

Knowing these woman has shown me the heartbreak, strength, endurance and resolve of those who would absolutely Celebrate Bottlefeeding.

Not one of them celebrates it because they can drink alcohol, have nights out or delegate night feeds.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013),RipperRita  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Girl X, thank you for conveying your thoughts and feelings on the matter even though it ended up being a bit of a debate thread, you have remained respectful and eloquent and i understand the need to be able to celebrate feeding your child whichever method you chose to is irrelevant to me, you're providing the best you can for you and your child, who should have any arguments with that?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V8 For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),lambjam  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013),WorkingClassMum  (23-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    Aren't there restrictions on the advertising of formula? I remember reading something about a law about advertising? Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but it made me think about whether BH could legally advertise anyway. (But then I'm sure I've seen Karicare advertise on TV...)
    The only Karicare ad I've seen on TV starts with the mother breastfeeding her baby then, as the narrator says "for reasons decides to mix feed or more on from breast feeding" and turns to Karicare, so they're promoting breastfeeding too.

I think it's horrible that breastfeeding women can have nurse-ins and complain that they're being treated like poo by society and then give the same negativity to bottlefeeders thinking they're all allowed to do that. Double standards much?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),feelinglucky  (24-01-2013),Lauzy83  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: New Celebrate Bottlefeeding section

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Ah forgive me. I guess I assumed it was bottlefeeding formula as it is generally accepted shorthand for not breastfeeding, rather than elm or pumping mums etc. And I have not read the original thread. This might be obvious.

To clarify, i have already stated my views on supporting mums. My beef would be with the terminology. The word celebrate used in that context seems inappropriate. Especially because of the grief and failure that mums experience when breastfeeding doesn't work out.
    It isn't a celebration. That's not to say that many mums aren't bloody heroes going through all they did and the hardships that brought them to bottlefeeding. Or that it isn't a wonderful bonding experience when a mum who has decided to bottlfeed gives that first feed to a tiny newborn.

It's just that breastfeeding rates are low and I think that it has to be considered that while not coercing mums to bottlfeed, language used this way could be seen as promoting bottlefeeding ;equalizing it with breastfeeding.

On an individual level bottlefeeding may be as good as breastfeeding for you and your family (and as individuals bottlefeeding families DO need positive support) however on a larger community level breastfeeding needs to be supported and promoted. For this reason i don't agree with the wording.

Peace

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    I find it pretty hard to believe that with all the "breast is best" and pro breast literature you get while pregnant that anyone would be swayed merely by the title "celebrate bottlefeeding".

As for your determination that after all the grief and failure experienced, that it "isn't a celebration"? Why not? For some people, it IS worth celebrating. For a multitude of reasons. Why does one need permission to celebrate? Nobody is saying that you, the individual has to celebrate it.

This is not about breast vs bottle. This is not about who or the aba, or any other organisation. This is about giving mums who need support support, fairly and equally.

For the record, if the situation was reversed and the "celebrate breastfeeding" section was taken away, that would upset me too.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (23-01-2013),αληθη  (23-01-2013),lambjam  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I actually hadn't clocked until just now that infant formula wasn't allowed to be advertised... Just toddler stuff.

Is that the same as in other countries? It's not like its poison for goodness sake! Having said that I guess they don't really need to advertise so why waste their money?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stage 3 is abit of a bs formula anyway, but that's another thread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Girl X, thank you for conveying your thoughts and feelings on the matter even though it ended up being a bit of a debate thread, you have remained respectful and eloquent and i understand the need to be able to celebrate feeding your child whichever method you chose to is irrelevant to me, you're providing the best you can for you and your child, who should have any arguments with that?
    Thank you. And thanks for trying to find out information for us too - much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I think it's horrible that breastfeeding women can have nurse-ins and complain that they're being treated like poo by society and then give the same negativity to bottlefeeders thinking they're all allowed to do that. Double standards much?
    I disagree with this. I think that most breastfeeders face negativity too - just a different kind. This isn't an anti-BF thread. But it's crazy how we all face negativity for just trying to feed our kids! I think London was on to something with the big joint 'Not starving our kids' celebration thread!!! (Although I have a sneaking suspicion how that one may turn out...)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Mayhem View Post
    can I just say Girl X, Thank you, everything you have said (in both threads regarding this) I agree with 110%. and you have said it so much better than I ever could

And I think you are all sorts of awesome
    Here here! I knew how I was feeling reading some of these posts but could not articulate a response the way Girl X and Delirium have.

Thanks for articulating these feelings that clearly so many of us have!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

I disagree with this. I think that most breastfeeders face negativity too - just a different kind. This isn't an anti-BF thread. But it's crazy how we all face negativity for just trying to feed our kids! I think London was on to something with the big joint 'Not starving our kids' celebration thread!!! (Although I have a sneaking suspicion how that one may turn out...)
    I meant they fight their negativity (recently with the nurse in) and also get very hurt by it, but then some (I do realise not all, especially with the other thread about what we love about bottle feeding and some coming in there with support too) but some pass on the same intensity, sometimes worse, of negativity about bottlefeeding/ff and it seems like double standards that those pro breast feeders would give bottlefeeders negativity that they've had to endure.
    If I'm making sense? I know what I'm trying to say in my head >__<