+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why celebrate bottle feeding?
    As a very pro breastfeeding mum, one who went through hell to feed for as long as I could, I understood the struggles and need to celebrate it, aknoweldge the struggles and keep going.
    As also a FF mum I know it's also a struggle to feed because what I learnt was ALL babies and mums struggle at some point with any method of feeding. Some babies have allergies, intolerances that needs special formulas, some have severe reflux issues, the amount of mums I used to talk to and realise how tough we all have it.
    We all need a section to celebrate what we do, it doesn't say 'formula is better than breast' it doesn't say anything about breastfeeding and it doesn't encourage women not to breastfeed. It's simply saying, we feed our children, we do it hard and we want to celebrate the work we do for our babies.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (23-01-2013),Cat21  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (23-01-2013),lambjam  (23-01-2013),Madame Mayhem  (23-01-2013),MrsSS  (23-01-2013),wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Ah forgive me. I guess I assumed it was bottlefeeding formula as it is generally accepted shorthand for not breastfeeding, rather than elm or pumping mums etc. And I have not read the original thread. This might be obvious.

To clarify, i have already stated my views on supporting mums. My beef would be with the terminology. The word celebrate used in that context seems inappropriate. Especially because of the grief and failure that mums experience when breastfeeding doesn't work out.
    It isn't a celebration. That's not to say that many mums aren't bloody heroes going through all they did and the hardships that brought them to bottlefeeding. Or that it isn't a wonderful bonding experience when a mum who has decided to bottlfeed gives that first feed to a tiny newborn.

It's just that breastfeeding rates are low and I think that it has to be considered that while not coercing mums to bottlfeed, language used this way could be seen as promoting bottlefeeding ;equalizing it with breastfeeding.

On an individual level bottlefeeding may be as good as breastfeeding for you and your family (and as individuals bottlefeeding families DO need positive support) however on a larger community level breastfeeding needs to be supported and promoted. For this reason i don't agree with the wording.

Peace

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    It is extremely obvious that you haven't read the original thread. If you'd had, you'd be aware that attitudes like yours are contributing to a mothers grief when it doesn't work out and it is exactly why we need a celebrating bottle feeding section - to be able to support each other and enjoy some of the benefits that go with bottle feeding without someone coming in and passing judgement.

As for celebrating, well, I sure as hell celebrated when I made the decision to switch and give up on spending over two hours attempting to breast feed, only for my son to take a full formula feed anyway.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),delirium  (23-01-2013),felicita  (24-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),αληθη  (23-01-2013),Lauzy83  (05-05-2013),MrsSS  (23-01-2013),Purple Lily  (23-01-2013),wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Maybe in the spirit of unity they should get rid of bottlefeeding and breastfeeding section and make one "Celebrate Not Starving Your Children" section

6. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-01-2013),ChickyBee  (23-01-2013),CupidsVictim  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),delirium  (23-01-2013),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (23-01-2013),headoverfeet  (23-01-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (23-01-2013),HowCrazyCool  (23-01-2013),αληθη  (23-01-2013),lambjam  (23-01-2013),Lauzy83  (05-05-2013),Madame Mayhem  (23-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-01-2013),MrsSS  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013),PR2bMum  (23-01-2013),Purple Lily  (23-01-2013),soon2bmumzy  (23-01-2013),V8  (23-01-2013),wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Headoverfeet and Delirium! I got onto Professor Google and learnt a lot - apparently it's a WHO Code so variations of the Code have been implemented worldwide. Really interesting reading actually and a useful debate (particularly around the countries which have followed the Code to the absolute extreme including one country which only allows formula by prescription only). But that's for another time and another thread.

Meanwhile, glad there's been a response to why the name has changed in the first place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I know many will disagree but I agree with meme in many ways and I have breastfed toddlers, have bottle fed both formula and ebm and tube fed and I feel no better or worse about any of those choices.

I think that celebrating or promoting formula isn't a positive thing and that is why bubhub doesn't allow formula to be advertised on the site. That doesn't mean I think it's the devils urine and that women who formula feed shot be shot.

I do however wonder if a mother to be is unsure and comes to this site and reads about how wonderful formula is, how easy it is, how you get to drink and share night feeds etc...well surely it may sway them? Australia has such dismal breastfeeding rates as it is.

I know this is a contentious topic and all of us should be proud of ourselves and our choices. I just had to throw some support meme's way.
    Again, I have no wish to get into a BF vs FF debate. I repeat, this is not what this thread is for, and I know people have been unceremoniously dumped out of the BF threads for similar!

What you are essentially saying is that mothers who are unsure should be lied to. That if there are any positives to bottlefeeding then we shouldn't tell people, in case they get tempted. I think people are smarter than that. I believe people deserve all the facts. They deserve to know why BF is thought to be the optimal choice, and they also deserve to know why some people like to bottlefeed. More than that, they deserve to be given the credit for making their own decisions based on ALL the facts, and then supported in that decision.

Perhaps we should also ban threads about people who like c-sections, in case someone gets tempted to have one?

But I'll stop there.

I'll repeat - please could everyone remember that this thread is for celebrating bottlefeeding. If you do not want to celebrate it then please do not try to make this a debate thread. That's not what it's for.

9. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (23-01-2013),BlissedOut  (23-01-2013),Boobycino  (23-01-2013),ChickyBee  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),delirium  (23-01-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (23-01-2013),jellybub  (23-01-2013),lambjam  (23-01-2013),Lauzy83  (05-05-2013),MrsSS  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013),PomPoms  (23-01-2013),risfaerie  (23-01-2013),wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I know many will disagree but I agree with meme in many ways and I have breastfed toddlers, have bottle fed both formula and ebm and tube fed and I feel no better or worse about any of those choices.

I think that celebrating or promoting formula isn't a positive thing and that is why bubhub doesn't allow formula to be advertised on the site. That doesn't mean I think it's the devils urine and that women who formula feed shot be shot.

I do however wonder if a mother to be is unsure and comes to this site and reads about how wonderful formula is, how easy it is, how you get to drink and share night feeds etc...well surely it may sway them? Australia has such dismal breastfeeding rates as it is.

I know this is a contentious topic and all of us should be proud of ourselves and our choices. I just had to throw some support meme's way.
    You know I love you to bits but this is one of the few areas we disagree in... which is fine

I just don't believe treating women like children that need to be 'led' and have their decisions made for them, and demonising formula is going to increase rates. I just don't see the punative approach working, an approach the ABA has had for some time and not surprisingly rates haven't rose. Things like real tangible support is what's going to do it.

Anyway this is one of my soft spots so I'm leaving this one alone lol

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-01-2013),misskittyfantastico  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default New Celebrate Bottlefeeding section

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Maybe in the spirit of unity they should get rid of bottlefeeding and breastfeeding section and make one "Celebrate Not Starving Your Children" section
    Good idea!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Why celebrate bottle feeding?
    As a very pro breastfeeding mum, one who went through hell to feed for as long as I could, I understood the struggles and need to celebrate it, aknoweldge the struggles and keep going.
    As also a FF mum I know it's also a struggle to feed because what I learnt was ALL babies and mums struggle at some point with any method of feeding. Some babies have allergies, intolerances that needs special formulas, some have severe reflux issues, the amount of mums I used to talk to and realise how tough we all have it.
    We all need a section to celebrate what we do, it doesn't say 'formula is better than breast' it doesn't say anything about breastfeeding and it doesn't encourage women not to breastfeed. It's simply saying, we feed our children, we do it hard and we want to celebrate the work we do for our babies.
    Agree.
    My babies were allergy babies weaned onto a prescription formula as I was on a dairy, soy, wheat, egg and gluten free diet, starving and suffering anxiety and PND while BFing. It was incredibly difficult to wean them onto bottles... It took a lot of effort to get them to drink the yucky tasting prescription formula. When they finally took bottles... Not only did I feel like celebrating... I felt like chucking a party. Such a weight was lifted from my shoulders to no longer be responsible for accidentally eating the wrong thing and making them sick.
    Last edited by V8; 23-01-2013 at 21:10. Reason: Maybe would have been better to PM the member

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (23-01-2013),Someones Mummy  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    What you are essentially saying is that mothers who are unsure should be lied to. That if there are any positives to bottlefeeding then we shouldn't tell people, in case they get tempted. I think people are smarter than that. I believe people deserve all the facts. They deserve to know why BF is thought to be the optimal choice, and they also deserve to know why some people like to bottlefeed. More than that, they deserve to be given the credit for making their own decisions based on ALL the facts, and then supported in that decision.
    I adore you!

This is exactly how I feel. I made a choice (unlike many mums here) to formula feed, it was based on more than the nutritional content of breast milk or the breast is best message.

I do feel this section allows women to make a choice based on more than what's thrown in their face throughout pregnancy.

Breast isn't always best and I'm so glad I can celebrate being able to feed my baby a nutritious alternative, even if it's not the optimal source of nutrition.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 23-01-2013 at 21:08.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013),risfaerie  (23-01-2013)

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    can I just say Girl X, Thank you, everything you have said (in both threads regarding this) I agree with 110%. and you have said it so much better than I ever could

And I think you are all sorts of awesome

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Madame Mayhem For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),lambjam  (23-01-2013)