+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    Have you ever seen an ad for formula on this forum?

because I have not.

and I know at the last modcon we discussed this at some length. Bubhub is very proud to be a pro-breastfeeing forum, who does not accept advertising for formula.
    That in itself it actually sad. Its a parenting forum and we say time and time again that there is many ways to parent...but then the forum itself doesnt accept 'options'. Am I the only one who sees the problem with this???

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),αληθη  (23-01-2013),jellybub  (23-01-2013),lambjam  (23-01-2013),wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: New Celebrate Bottlefeeding section

Ah forgive me. I guess I assumed it was bottlefeeding formula as it is generally accepted shorthand for not breastfeeding, rather than elm or pumping mums etc. And I have not read the original thread. This might be obvious.

To clarify, i have already stated my views on supporting mums. My beef would be with the terminology. The word celebrate used in that context seems inappropriate. Especially because of the grief and failure that mums experience when breastfeeding doesn't work out.
    It isn't a celebration. That's not to say that many mums aren't bloody heroes going through all they did and the hardships that brought them to bottlefeeding. Or that it isn't a wonderful bonding experience when a mum who has decided to bottlfeed gives that first feed to a tiny newborn.

It's just that breastfeeding rates are low and I think that it has to be considered that while not coercing mums to bottlfeed, language used this way could be seen as promoting bottlefeeding ;equalizing it with breastfeeding.

On an individual level bottlefeeding may be as good as breastfeeding for you and your family (and as individuals bottlefeeding families DO need positive support) however on a larger community level breastfeeding needs to be supported and promoted. For this reason i don't agree with the wording.

Peace

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    Aren't there restrictions on the advertising of formula? I remember reading something about a law about advertising? Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but it made me think about whether BH could legally advertise anyway. (But then I'm sure I've seen Karicare advertise on TV...)
    Only stage 3 can be advertised

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (23-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    So the pump companies are having a tanty (just a guess because right now I am looking at 3 medela adds) and you don't want to loose your advertisers but your morals prevent you from taking on FF companies! Tough situation to be in
    From the comments above, it sounds as if it was nothing to do with advertisers, but I was thinking the pump companies would LOVE bottle feeders! Otherwise - what do you do with your pumped milk...?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    Aren't there restrictions on the advertising of formula? I remember reading something about a law about advertising? Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but it made me think about whether BH could legally advertise anyway. (But then I'm sure I've seen Karicare advertise on TV...)
    Australia has signed some sort of declaration saying we wont allow advertising of formula for children under 1yr that's why all the adds you see are for 'follow on' formula.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (23-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-01-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    From the comments above, it sounds as if it was nothing to do with advertisers, but I was thinking the pump companies would LOVE bottle feeders! Otherwise - what do you do with your pumped milk...?
    Very true don't mind me I've had a glass of wine and my children are partaking in a pillow fight at the moment!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: New Celebrate Bottlefeeding section

And thank you find my lunch. I didn't know that and i can see that a section like that would be a great supportive space

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 23-01-2013 at 21:14.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    To clarify, i have already stated my views on supporting mums. My beef would be with the terminology. The word celebrate used in that context seems inappropriate. Especially because of the grief and failure that mums experience when breastfeeding doesn't work out.
    It isn't a celebration. That's not to say that many mums aren't bloody heroes going through all they did and the hardships that brought them to bottlefeeding. Or that it isn't a wonderful bonding experience when a mum who has decided to bottlfeed gives that first feed to a tiny newborn.

It's just that breastfeeding rates are low and I think that it has to be considered that while not coercing mums to bottlfeed, language used this way could be seen as promoting bottlefeeding ;equalizing it with breastfeeding.

On an individual level bottlefeeding may be as good as breastfeeding for you and your family (and as individuals bottlefeeding families DO need positive support) however on a larger community level breastfeeding needs to be supported and promoted. For this reason i don't agree with the wording.

Peace

Umm yes it can sometimes be a celebration and why shouldn't it be? bfing isn't the be all and end all. Having a section where bottle feeders can go to seek support and feel the right to be proud mums isn't effecting bfing rates lol you seem to be stuck in the ABA type mantra that demonising formula will bring all those lazy mums back to the fold - completely discounting the REAL reasons they stopped bfing.

I'm tryin hard to be as polite as I can be here - but who are you to say ffers can't celebrate? gahhh time to log off, I feel my blood boiling

15. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (23-01-2013),BlissedOut  (23-01-2013),ChickyBee  (23-01-2013),CupidsVictim  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (23-01-2013),jellybub  (23-01-2013),Lauzy83  (05-05-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-01-2013),MrsSS  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013),PomPoms  (23-01-2013),Purple Lily  (23-01-2013),risfaerie  (23-01-2013),wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Ah forgive me. I guess I assumed it was bottlefeeding formula as it is generally accepted shorthand for not breastfeeding, rather than elm or pumping mums etc. And I have not read the original thread. This might be obvious.

Peace

A couple of points here. I would say that it is for the individual to decide what they can and cannot celebrate.

There are many things I loved about bottle feeding DD, and I celebrate those things. She is healthy and has grown into a wonderful little girl, and I celebrate that. Many mums choose to bottlefeed, and feel no grief - only celebration.

It is not for you, or anyone else, to decide what someone can celebrate. If you do not celebrate it, that's fine too. But I would respectfully suggest this is not the section for you.

I would also say that this is a thread for celebrating bottlefeeding, and not debating bottle vs breast. All who came to this thread came to talk positively about it. If that's not for you, then there are many other threads on BH that support BF.

For many on this thread bottlefeeding was absolutely equal to, or better than, BF.

No one is out to convert breastfeeders. We are here to cheer each other on, and enjoy the way in which we feed our children.

17. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (23-01-2013),Boobycino  (23-01-2013),CupidsVictim  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),delirium  (23-01-2013),House Mummaxxxx  (23-01-2013),jellybub  (23-01-2013),lambjam  (23-01-2013),Lauzy83  (05-05-2013),Madame Mayhem  (23-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013),Purple Lily  (23-01-2013),risfaerie  (23-01-2013),wannawannabe  (23-01-2013)