+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Medication for Reflux

Hi All, my 6 week old has Colic and also "maybe" have Silent Reflux. Paediatrician said if symptoms don't get better from the Colic I have to give him Omeprazole. For some reason I am very nervous about this as may baby is so young and wanting to know if any other mums gave this at a young age without any problems with their bub. I guess I am anxious as its a "maybe" reflux and don't want to be giving medication when not needed. Appreciate your replies and experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also if they don't have reflux and this is given will it do any harm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't heard of that medication, but my little one has been on Losec since 2 weeks of age. He's 6 weeks now and i had also tried all the formula's out there.. even reflux formula's didn't work for us.. but - they do work with others.. have you tried them? I've also heard that the Novalac Colic formula is great as well. I have found that adding infacol to every bottle helps alot.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also if they don't have reflux and this is given will it do any harm?

Thanks
    Reviews

Omeprazole is the same as Losec. 2 out of 3 of my babies have been on Losec for their reflux- my DS was put in it at 8 days old.
    You will see results pretty quickly if reflux is the issue. The damage to a baby's esophagus from the acid reflux can be terrible- in my opinion, using reflux medication is a much better option.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    Omeprazole is the same as Losec. 2 out of 3 of my babies have been on Losec for their reflux- my DS was put in it at 8 days old.
    You will see results pretty quickly if reflux is the issue. The damage to a baby's esophagus from the acid reflux can be terrible- in my opinion, using reflux medication is a much better option.
    Agreed!! The pain they experience can be just awful too!

I'd suggest cutting all dairy from your diet if you are breastfeeding or trying a soy formula incase it's cows milk protein causing it. Also you could try using a ml or 2 of mylanta, that can often indicate if its reflux too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Omeprazole is Losec. Its the drug name, other brands are Acimax, Probitor and many others. Just like Ibuprofen is Nurofen or Advil.

Although not generally used as a first line treatment, it is very commonly used (and safe) for reflux in infants.

It can be made into a suspension but is more stable if you dissolve the tablets.

Eta-no it won't do any harm if it's not reflux. But as pp said, you'll notice a difference pretty fast if it is.

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd has been on losec for about a month now. She is a different baby. From what I've read and info from dr, there are no real side effects or reason not to medicate. If it isn't really reflux you won't notice any changes in your bubs mood etc but for me, after a week on the losec the difference was amazing. She had a croaky voice all the time because of the reflux burning her throat. Now her voice sounds totally normal. She's feeding better, not wriggling and squirming all the time and no scream a thons!! Well worth it for me!

Thanks
    Reviews

We started omeprazole at 6 weeks. No adverse reactions...we were on Zantac at 4 weeks.
    I would suggest if your not certain to maybe look at Zantac first which is a suppressant rather than an inhibitor (omeprazole).
    The advice I was given by a few doctors and pharmacists is to be on a suppressant while starting omeprazole to ensure the tummy acid doesn't render the omeprazole useless.
    Also make sure you give this on an empty tummy. 30min-1 hour before food or 2 hours after food. Also if you get the suspension omeprazole ensure its banana flavour and you cycle it every 20 days to keep it effective.
    Reflux.org.au is a great resource for information.

Thanks
    Reviews

Izka - is there any reason why it needs to be banana flavour? I'm not sure what flavour My chemist did! Ours only stays fresh for about 10 days so we have to keep going back for more!