+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 year old just wont sleep through

My dd is 3 years old and just started to wake constantly throughout the night and cry, call out, and refuse to go back to sleep. She says she doesn't want to sleep in her bed but also finds a range of other excuses to. We are entering our second week of it and totally exhausted. We never take her to our bed as I know that would just make it worse. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it developmental or just bad behavior?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My 3 year old has never slept through and wakes 3-4 times a night. We have been to sleep school twice to no avail. However, last time we went (he had just a fortnight earlier turned 3), they told us to lead him by the hand back to bed (babies are carried, big boys walk), then put him back to to bed and just keep repeating, "shhh, it's sleep time now, not talk time". We do not enter into conversation with him, and he will try (some of the ways are rather inventive). We are having a lot of success, he still wakes but resettling him is much easier and quicker.

Before sleep school he was in our bed and waking 5-6 times so I think we are making progress.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Tonight I will be giving it a try, thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews

No luck! She just refuses to sleep. I'm at wits end any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I know you are against co sleeping but have you tried to put a mattress on your bedroom floor or hers?

if she is suddenly started doing this I'm guessing she is having night terrors etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

My husband really struggles with her being in our bed and I just don't want that sort of sleeping arrangement long term. She says she is scared and just wants to sleep with me. I have let her occasionally just so I can get some sleep but by ds who is 5 months still wakes too so it's not a good long term solution.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We bought a blow up mattress and put it in ds1's room so that either DH or I could sleep with him.

We figured out that he just wanted cuddles during the night. What really helped us was DH putting him to bed as he was a bit less touchy-feely, where as I would touch and hug and cuddle and this is what DS wanted all night long.

We are now trying to get him to fall asleep by himself, so this is our next challenge!

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMaes View Post
    My husband really struggles with her being in our bed and I just don't want that sort of sleeping arrangement long term. She says she is scared and just wants to sleep with me. I have let her occasionally just so I can get some sleep but by ds who is 5 months still wakes too so it's not a good long term solution.
    Dd1 has a spare mattress under her bed. If needed dh or I can sleep there and then leave once dd1 is snoring.

But we have no issues with her coming into our bed during the night. She just has to go to sleep in hers. Sometimes we have both girls curled up with us in the early hours of the morning

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would just love some sleep my dd hasn't slept for nearly 4 years. Has anyone taken the drug option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We keep a spare mattress under our bed for when DD wakes in the middle of the night (which... Has been every night for the past 6 months). It's not ideal but it means we all get a decent sleep so it's the best option for us.