+ Reply to Thread
    Melba is offline Repeat...patience is a virtue..patience is a virtue
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Meal ideas with clingy baby

Help! I have just started back at work and am finding it really difficult to get dinner ready of an evening because my DS is super clingy. I realise that he is clingy because we are dealing with a bit of separation anxiety so I am not prepared to ignore him. We have to eat though! He is crawling and pulling himself up so if I leave him in the lounge room with toys (5metres away), he will follow me into the kitchen, bawling. He then pulls himself up on me or the drawers. I am worried about his safety, especially if the oven is on. Sooo...tell me, what can I cook that requires little prep and can be done with a clingy bub? Does such a thing exist or are we destined to starve? If you have been through this and have words of wisdom, please share!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Why not cook or food prep at a different time so you only need to heat up, or buy a thermomix/slow cooker that cooks without you needing to watch it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My dd was exactly the same. But not because of child care she was just generally like this once she could crawl. Before that she used to have a late arvo nap at which time I would get most of dinner sorted.

Some of my suggestions:

- bring the high chair into the kitchen and pass him bits of carrot or vege as you chop them so he has something to taste or feel.

- pull out some pots and plastic items and throw in some vege scraps like the carrot peels and let him play with them.

- encourage him to watch play school or his fave show and sneak off every few minutes to get a small part of dinner done then return to sit with him again. Sorry this is a really drawn out process but sometimes that's all you can do.

- always keep quick food like Latina pasta and sauce or crumbed chicken and fish in the freezer so you can chuck it in the oven and forget about it. This is my best suggestion for days when he is particularly clingy or grizzly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (22-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

We have clingy toddlers during witching hour too.
    Every Sunday I tend to pre-prepare at least one meal for the week ahead, plus whatever we have on Sunday night is cooked in a double batch so that we have a second batch for lunches or to freeze for later in the week.

My slow cooker is a godsend too. There are many things you can do in it that aren't casseroles too - jacket potatoes, stuffed capsicums etc.

Other quick and easy meals which are faves here are fried rice (precooked rice with frozen veg and eggs), toasties or jaffles with spaghetti in them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Could you pop him in an ergo on your back?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (22-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Meal ideas with clingy baby

How old is he? I used to put DS1 on the kitchen counter in his bumbo and I made dinner with him right there between like 6-12 months.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Meal ideas with clingy baby

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Could you pop him in an ergo on your back?
    This is what i would do. Keeps him snuggled up and next to you, but out of the way of the stove, etc.

Otherwise, I would cook dinner for the next night once he's in bed, and put it in the fridge to reheat once you're home. And/or get a slowcooker.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slow cooker is fantastic! Get food cooking in the morning when there not as "needy" plus whilst introducing solids and having babies with no teeth the beef, chicken etc.. Is great for learner eaters as its so tender!
    I also have a selection of crumbed fish, pre made rissoles and crumbed chicken in the freezer as well as steam fresh veggies for those extra clingy need a quick meal nights ( better than take away ).
    Also agree with the high chair in the kitchen, then they can see what's happening and play/snack of veggies that your preparing

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is very active and doesn't want to be in a high chair or carrier. He also gets very interested in destroying all cabinet locks, pulling out plates and bowls and opening the oven. So I just bought a gate from Target to put it in between kitchen and living room, it's 50% sales now, it can be a play pen or a fence. I hang some toys on it. He can play with toys while watching me cooking, talking with me or he can go to watch ABC for kids in living room.