+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I'd be converting half the garage into a bedroom!
    I was thinking that, but with all boys I'm thinking they might follow in their fathers footsteps with a love of cars (dh has a mustang).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    I would put the baby in the smallest room or have them share and make the small room a play room.
    Thats definitely my plan, I'm just thinking more long term

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    I would make the boys share the second bedroom and the third as a study/playroom for them. Each wall in the second bedroom could have their own wall stickers and linen so it felt like they had their own space.

Also how long do you plan on staying in the house? If it's a 5/10 year house and you have young children I would think it's fine. If you think you want to live there for a lot longer there may be issues as they become older teenagers/younger adults. I have a feeling a lot of us are going to have our children at home longer than we anticipate and you may find you will need the room to accomodate this.
    This will be our 2nd home and hopefully last. It's the area we want to be in and a great location.
    There is another 4th room, however it's RIGHT off the kitchen meals area, so I don't think that's ideal for a teen etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default My last house question, I promise (well, maybe) !

I think it is fine for a bedroom that size, kids like to be where you are anyway. I use to share a room not that much bigger with 2 siblings (bunk bed + single bed), it didn't worry us, we were always playing outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm guesing this house is to buy?

If so, if the bedrooms next to each other could you knock out the wall and rebuild it. We did this with our current house to make master bedroom a bit bigger for a wardrobe and took some space out of the study. Hubby is handy so did it himself but if it's not a load bearing wall it should be a realtively easy task. At most may cost you a couple of thousand for a tradie to do it if it's a straight forward case and is a small cost in the scheme of buying a house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I think it is fine for a bedroom that size, kids like to be where you are anyway. I use to share a room not that much bigger with 2 siblings (bunk bed + single bed), it didn't worry us, we were always playing outside.
    Im just thinking more in the long term as we want this house to be 'the one' we stay put in.

I was thinking maybe an extension out the back once the are late teenagers (wont probably be running around outside as much!)
    How much would a standard bedroom extension cost??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyMissA View Post
    I'm guesing this house is to buy?

If so, if the bedrooms next to each other could you knock out the wall and rebuild it. We did this with our current house to make master bedroom a bit bigger for a wardrobe and took some space out of the study. Hubby is handy so did it himself but if it's not a load bearing wall it should be a realtively easy task. At most may cost you a couple of thousand for a tradie to do it if it's a straight forward case and is a small cost in the scheme of buying a house.
    I was thinking this, but the real estate agent wasnt exactly sure if the 4th room shared a room with this small room, if so we could knock down the wall and bring it out .5m or so. But I have to see the house again to check. The other side is the bathroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's fine for now. Bedrooms are for sleep. If you've got space to store stuff (like the garage) then you don't need a massive amount of storage space and they can study elsewhere (like the 4th bedroom off the kitchen). And 20 yo's don't need a double bed in my opinion (they are shorter than a single anyway!), maybe a king single, but that would still fit in that room.

When you've been in the house for a while think about how you'd like to change it and consider your options. Move walls, extend a bit, etc. You're looking at $1000 - $3000 per square metre for building in general, but that won't be right if you're knocking down load bearing external walls, etc, it will be more. A 50cm extension to a single room would cost A LOT of money, but adding another 50cm to that wouldn't be so expensive.

If that's your only worry with the house then I'd buy it. But I'd probably go back & look at it again if I were you as it doesn't sound like you remember all the details exactly and this is a big decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    Could perhaps you take the 2nd room, and split the master between both children. The tiny 3rd room could then be used as a study.
    This is what I was going to post...

Thanks
    Reviews

One of our bedrooms is tiny at 2.7 x 2.3 and we have 2 boys in there. The set up we have is bunks with 2 huge storage draws under for lego etc and the top bunk has an ikea bookself on the wall above for storage and display. Then we have a chest of drawers in the cupboard for all the clothes and a hook rack on the wall for bags and towels. The set up is awesome for the space and there is a spare bedroom but not on the same level so the boys chose to be together in the smaller room. It looks very neat as everything has a place.