+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default My last house question, I promise (well, maybe) !

Dh and I found a solid, updated family home. Everything perfect except one thing, the 3rd bedroom is tiny!
    We have 2 boys, the master and 2nd room are quite generous in size.
    We can't build up (too $$$) and can't extend ( we would lose too much yard and it's already medium size.
    I don't want my child to hate his bedroom when he grows up.
    I took 2.5 big steps, so it might be 2.5m (approx) + BIR

What do you think??

The house is in a great spot and has 4 car garage for dh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is 2.5 the biggest length?

Thanks
    Reviews

The bedrooms in this place are approx 2.5 x 2.5, yes they are tiny and I wish my children had bigger rooms, but they have never said they 'hate' their rooms. We've just made their rooms fun with nice furniture, wall stickers etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly though, how much space does a child need in their bedroom? Bedrooms are for sleeping. I had enough room for a bed, a small shelf and drawers when I was a teen, and even with all that it was a real squeeze. I can't say I ever hated my room or anything. It served its purpose.You could knock out the BIR to make more space.
    You could knock out the BIR if you want to add more space.
    Last edited by tannedangel; 21-01-2013 at 17:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could perhaps you take the 2nd room, and split the master between both children. The tiny 3rd room could then be used as a study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: My last house question, I promise (well, maybe) !

What about having the boys share one room as a bedroom and have the other as a toy room/play room? I did this at our last place that had 3 bedrooms.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would make the boys share the second bedroom and the third as a study/playroom for them. Each wall in the second bedroom could have their own wall stickers and linen so it felt like they had their own space.

Also how long do you plan on staying in the house? If it's a 5/10 year house and you have young children I would think it's fine. If you think you want to live there for a lot longer there may be issues as they become older teenagers/younger adults. I have a feeling a lot of us are going to have our children at home longer than we anticipate and you may find you will need the room to accomodate this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'd be converting half the garage into a bedroom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would put the baby in the smallest room or have them share and make the small room a play room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies. I think it's 2.5x2.5
    Dh said the same, it's just for sleeping. Im just thinking of a 20 yr old man, lol, as you wouldn't be able to put a double bed in there.
    The 2nd room is the same size as the master, I'm not sure what dimensions it would then be after you split it and needing another BIR.