+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ants in the kitchen....HELP

I've noticed only in the last few days ants were coming in when I had the kitchen & living room windows open so I closed the windows & they were still coming in..

We are living in our house 9 months & have had no problems with ants till now..

I got Hoover out & hovered in the gap in the windows.

I then googled how to get rid of ants & have used talcum powder sprinkled along the window sill.
    I have tried spraying vinegar everywhere & have washed the floors with vinegar..
    I have also used window cleaning spray.

All of this & they are still found crawling on the work top,sink,floors,dishwasher,now drawers & presses..

I don't want to use any chemical sprays with my 4 month old around & I don't really use them anyway..but I'm at my wits end I may have to get something stronger..

i can't even put DD down on her play mat in case some are crawling on the floor near her.

I am so sick of them & sick constantly cleaning & sweeping & hovering.. I don't have the time with a baby to look after plus all the normal household duties SAHM do..

I can't even prepare food for lunch or dinner with them.

We are renting so don't know if our landlord can do anything??

It's really getting me down..

Anyone help please!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Ants in the kitchen....HELP

I can't offer advice about how to stop them but we've got the same problem. I was thinking maybe the hot weather is to blame.

You can call you pm if it gets to much. They would probably organise a pest controller but this of course would mean chemicals.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I was told they come in looking for water. Can leave some water outside the window?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by soon2bmumzy View Post
    I was told they come in looking for water. Can leave some water outside the window?
    I might try that. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Ant rid. It's the best stuff. You need to spend a few minutes watching them first though. See what path they're taking and put a couple of drops every metre or so. They take it back to the nest and die.

We had a huge ant problem about a year ago to the point they were all through the linen cupboard. Washing aside, the problem was rectified within 24 hours with Ant Rid. You can buy it from the supermarket.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Ant rid. It's the best stuff. You need to spend a few minutes watching them first though. See what path they're taking and put a couple of drops every metre or so. They take it back to the nest and die.

We had a huge ant problem about a year ago to the point they were all through the linen cupboard. Washing aside, the problem was rectified within 24 hours with Ant Rid. You can buy it from the supermarket.
    Would that be safe in the house for op? They said they have a 4 month old.

Thanks
    Reviews

My hubby uses duct tape to block the holes. Haven't had a problem since!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same problem and it sucks I think they are looking for water and I vac everyday to suck them up but they on,y come back in droves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Can't be water! We have a swimming pool and water out for our chickens still heaps.

Ant rid should be fine for a 4mo you put it on kitchen bench iykwim and you can get sprinkle stuff for outside from bunnings

Thanks
    Reviews

We seem to get a lot of ants at our place too. I've had success in the past with talcum powder, but it doesn't seem to bother the ants in our new house. DH steam mopped on Saturday, so the floor was sparkling clean, but we came home yesterday to find thousands of ants in a trail between our front door and a tiny bit of weetbix one of our DD's had dropped at breakfast. We had some antrid which we put near our front door last night and haven't had any ants today, which is unusual since it looks like rain.
    I've also read that they won't go through WD-40 if you wanted to spray that around their entry point.