+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wrestling with double embryo transfer decision

Hello ladies
    I hope you might be able to help with my dilemma. We are about to embark on our 5th and final IVF cycle (my second fresh). I know that this will probably be our last cycle, so my dilemma is twofold:
    - I always wanted 2 or 3 children, however at this stage that dream seems unlikely;
    - I am afraid of transferring 2 embryos, although this will probably be my only chance at having two children. I figure, fertility and pregnancy isn't exactly my body's strong points, so I feel I would be tempting fate by transferring 2 embryos and I'm terrified of something going wrong. I have only ever transferred one embryo at a time previously because of this fear.
    I am just so undecided about transferring two! I want to enjoy pregnancy but would be so anxious and worried if I were having twins - just hoping everything goes ok. But to have twins would also be the most wonderful thing to ever happen to me.
    Has anyone felt the same way as me, but been brave (or silly!) enough to transfer two, and actually had twins? How did you get past the fear? What helped with your decision?
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Mrs Q

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

From what I understand, after 5 failed cycles the chances of 2 sticking are unlikely. It is believed that one can help the other get over the line. I am just about to start transferring 2 after our last stim resulted in nothing. I would be transferring 2 in your situation. It would be a lovely miracle if they both stuck. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I transferred two after several failed IVF cycles and both stuck. My beautiful babies did not make it past 19 weeks, it is tough for the body and the babies. We thought since none have stuck previously we should at least fall pregnant with one. Well that didn't happen. I will be transferring one next time. I think it all depends on your embryo's. If you have one excellent embryo and one poor quality that might not defrost then maybe it is worth transferring two. It's a tough decision, I know.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 22-01-2013 at 12:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladies, thank you so much for your replies. Rachael3, I am so sorry for your loss. Your experience is so very sad, and is my greatest fear. I hope you are doing ok and thank you so much for sharing with me. You are a gutsy girl, and I really hope you succeed soon x

Lilypily - you are right, it all depends on how the cycle goes and how many good quality embryos are available for transfer to start with...

A bit of history: my first fresh IVF cycle yielded 17 eggs, 12 fertilised but only 1 embryo looked decent on day 3 - so we transferred that (I fell pregnant, but lost at 7 weeks). Funnily enough, I managed to get another 3 to blastocyst from that cycle (graded 5AA, 5AB and 4AB) but all of these were negative FETs (single blasto transfers). The embryologist said that given they took so long to develop in the lab, there is probably egg quality issues despite their good grading and my relatively young age. My doctor is puzzled why I haven't fallen pregnant from such good quality blasts. So I've been taking DHEA since November and doing acupunture weekly for the last 12 months. Hoping that my next fresh cycle in March will yield more good quality embryos at the 3 day transfer mark.

I suppose if we have more than two good embryos on day 3, I would probably just transfer a single embryo. But if we only got 2 decent embryos on day 3, perhaps I would transfer both rather than chance losing one in a freeze? My husband is happy to support my decision either way (I wish he had a firm opinion of his own!). Obviously the best possible outcome is two healthy babies, but there's so much to overcome before getting to that point.

It's such a hard decision. Thanks again for your thoughts girls - much appreciated.
    Good luck with your own cycles, I wish you the very best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I just transferred 2 last cycle and got a big fat negative. Previously I had transferred 1 day 3 embryo which resulted in DD. this time I grew them to blastie and 1 was perfect and one not so great, which they didn't think would freeze. I wanted to give it a chance so transferred both.

It's a big call but I would transfer 2 in your situation. But it does hurt twice as much when it fails.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Rachel that's very sad. It's stories like yours that make the decision to transfer 2 very hard but thank you for sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I transferred 2 5 day embryos on my second ivf cycle, the first cycle we only had 1 to transfer with no frosties and the second had 2 so decided to transfer both, my amh is less than 1 which influenced my decision, it was a very nervous 2ww but I am happy to say I am now 22 weeks pregnant with twins. It certainly took some time to get our heads around twins, it just never occurred to me it was remotely possible given my amh but miracles do happen and sometimes twice. We are happy now as our family will be complete and we won't have to cycle again to get that second miracle.

Thanks
    Reviews

Congratulations Joy15, I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly. Having healthy twins would be the best possible outcome to complete our family too. I understand exactly what you mean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MrsQ, we went through the same. Our FS was horrid to us about having two transferred as we have male factor infertility. He pretty much guaranteed us that our babies would be premature, have cerebral palsy or be otherwise disabled, or that I would lose them entirely. We did a lot of our own research and made our own decision and stuck by it, which was a double transfer. Both did take and our boys were born full term and completely healthy. However, our decision was based on factors that are unique to us and that may not apply to everyone, such as myself having no known fertility issues, and the fact that I am tall and fairly athletic and not a teensy little petite person with no room for two babies. We honestly didn't expect both to survive, but they did and we couldn't be happier. The pregnancy is very stressful but you get a lot of monitoring which can help put your mind at rest. I had scans every 4 weeks at first, and then every 2 weeks. I have a friend who also had a double transfer and had twin boys. They did have some health issues and were premature, but are totally fine now.
    Before the boys we had a single transfer which failed, and after they arrived we had two more single transfers which both failed. We will never have a single transfer again.
    I guess the most important thing is to listen to everyone's experience and opinions, but in the end follow your heart, regardless of what anyone else thinks.