+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am I getting wound up about nothing?

DH has recently decided to start going to boxing training weekly on Friday nights starting 8.30pm. Unfortunately this is also when the kids (4 mth old and a very demanding 3 yr old) bedtime starts. He promises to help me sort out the kids before going, but as bedtime routine starts creeping past 8.30pm the "I'd rather be else where look" is plastered all over his face. I have asked if he can postpone any activities for a few mths till things get easier to which he replied he "needs" to exercise now. This infuriated me as I would not think to leave him to attend to the kids bedtime routine alone, but he thought it was quite ok.

DH has also given me "the heads up" that in a few mths he'll also be starting footy whIch will require training on Wednesday nights starting 7pm (so i'll have to wing it alone with dinner and bedtime) and matches on Sunday (so our day would have to revolve around the matches).

I am feeling angry and feel he is rather self indulgent with himself. I have no problems with his activities, but the timing is just bad. I don't understand why he can't wait till our routine gets easier. I think I'm getting upset coz he has the ability to give himself permission to pursue these activities and I haven't (good ol' mother guilt).

Am I getting fired up about nothing? Anyway I needed to rant and get it out of my system.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

That would **** me off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't think you are being unreasonable. I'd be really annoyed too. In particular the football would really annoy me. I'd have something to say about that!
    My DH goes to soccer every sat night until 8:30... My solution is that dd gets to stay up late that night until daddy gets home and then he gets her to sleep when he gets home.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would definitely have issues with that!

Of course he should have his time to exercise, but not at a busy time like that!

I hope you can get him to see this op

Thanks
    Reviews

TBH I think your getting wound up unnecessarily.

Is there a weekly evening activity you could take up on another evening so you get your own time out?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

babycart  (21-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Am I getting wound up about nothing?

One night a week I wouldn't personally have a problem with, so long as I could have a night off too. My husband goes out to play poker one night a week and I go out with my bestie once every few weeks but have the option to go out once a week (I'm just not into going out for the sake of it).

We've been doing it this way since I was pregnant with DS2, and my kids are now 2.5, 4.5 and one on the way.

However, if you are not happy with it, then I think you should talk to him and try to come to a compromise. Perhaps that maybe whilst he is partaking in football that he gives up the other night out?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you work outside the home? Why such a late routine? Why don't you do an earlier routine, then he can get away by 7:30 and you can put your feet up?
    Dinner is at 5:30 for my kids, bath at 6, bed at 7:15pm....Feet up at 7:16pm. I go out often at 7:30pm. Coffee with friends, hobby groups, yoga etc.

Men need time out too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

babycart  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I really don't see the big deal, it's one week. Football might be a different story.

Thanks
    Reviews

It is unfair yes, with babies that age and at night by yourself
    If he needs to exercise he needs to pick another time

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    Do you work outside the home? Why such a late routine? Why don't you do an earlier routine, then he can get away by 7:30 and you can put your feet up?
    Dinner is at 5:30 for my kids, bath at 6, bed at 7:15pm....Feet up at 7:16pm. I go out often at 7:30pm. Coffee with friends, hobby groups, yoga etc.

Men need time out too.
    That sounds wonderful. I wish my DS would go to bed like that bout routine is more like dinner at 6, bath and in bed and books by 7. Lights out 7:15. Pee at 7:18, 7:28, 7:35. Protests for more pee from 7:40-8:00. If I'm really lucky sleep and feet up for me by 8:15. If I'm not lucky I can still be waiting at 9.

OP - I'd be annoyed too. We have both occasionally gone out durin the bedtime routine, but we only have one.