+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Backyard 'Camping'

I think camping outside is totally normal and part of growing up. Did this so many times as a kid with my cousins or sleeping on the trampoline as others have said.
    Perhaps keep Facebook posts about it till afterwards or not at all if u are that worried. But the actual camping I think is great and fun for the kids and gives them a sense of independence. I think it would be mean to not allow this and install a sense of fear into them. Use your judgement as to what age u think they are prepared for it tho. And maybe try camping with them the first time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My girls have camped in the backyard before

Thanks
    Reviews
    We tried that previous year when DS was 6 but its the small backyard and I was with him whole night. I won't allow front though our garden was bigger on the front and had a low fence. I think it's fun cos we watched possums come to our backyard and the sky and stars...it was memorable.

But I wouldn't post on FB for security reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I let my nine year old camp outside in the backyard on his own. He was two metres from the back door, left unlocked. I do wish I had a good dog in the yard, and bigger fences, but those are things I can't change and I don't want to be a helicopter parents. Life has risks. As another person mentioned, statistically children are far more likely to be in danger from recurrent contact with someone they know than from a stranger.

Camping out alone teaches kids resilience, adventure, and independence. I'll let him do it whenever he asks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tubeway For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (21-01-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did this in the back yard of the neighbours at the back of our house. They had a front fence and a dog, our house was just over the fence behind with our dog so if someone came into the yard the dogs would certainly have let us know. It was fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't feel comfy letting my kids sleep outside. I did when I was a kid, but I agree the world seemed a lot safer back then.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Backyard 'Camping'

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    WTF yourself.

The odds of a friend doing a home invasion on us because hubby's on night shift is minute compared to the likeliood of a twisted neighbour noticing the pattern with the car not being there.

I'm not scared of the people I'm friends with.
    I'm with you blissed out - I like my friends to know when my DH is away as ill get invites for dinners, or my friends dropping by to see us. He's away all the time anyway so he'd be useless as a guard dog!

Backyard camping bring it on - I wouldn't lock my kids out of the house - that would be a bit odd for toilet runs or if they got spooked.