+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Backyard 'Camping'

Hi Everyone.

A Facebook friend posted a photo tonight of the tent her kids are sleeping in tonight in their backyard.

I'm not sure if I am just paranoid, but I could never imagine allowing my kids to sleep outside locked doors without me! I have two issues with this..... They are not protected in any way (how hard would it be to break into a tent?), and you have just publicly announced your children are going to be outside your house alone for the night.

I remember sleeping out the back with my little brother in a tent when we were kids, but I don't feel it is as safe now as it was then.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS cannot wait till I let him sleep in the backyard in a tent! I will prob let him next year when he will be over 9.

I wouldn't put it on FB until the day after though!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Backyard 'Camping'

I wouldn't put it on Facebook but I think it's a great childhood tradition and I hope my sons do it when they get a bit older!

I had a friend who put on Facebook "all alone again tonight, hubby on night shift". I mean WTF?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We always had camping adventures when we were little however we never slept out side we would set up in the lounge room with our tent and we weren to watch tv and we had to have our food packed in our tent and to go to the toilet we had to walk round the lounge room once. it was great we never had to pack up because of rain lol

In this case the way the worl is going i personally wouldn let them do it in the back yard nor would i put it on facebook

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends on how old they were. No problem if I felt they were old enough.

But I wouldn't put it on Facebook until afterwards. That goes for anything. I don't even put on Facebook that I'm going anywhere until after I've been!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We used to as kids and absolutely DS will if he wants , I'm very happy with our neighborhood , yard , security etc so to be honest I would never think to worry about the security aspect ( more worried about bugs!) but no I would not put any personal info on Facebook

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to sleep in tents in our backyard all the time in summer! That being said we lived in a very small, very safe country town.
    I think I'd be fine letting DS sleep outside though, as I'd just leave the dog out there too.

But I also wouldn't put pictures on FB of that because you never know who's going to think "Ah ha, kid's in the back yard alone!". I'd like to think none of the people I have on FB are like that, but who's to say who has access to the accounts of my friends and family?

Thanks
    Reviews

Absolutely i will be doing this. Oldest is 7, but has anxiety etc so i'll wait a bit longer still.

I don't feel like its less safe now than i was a child, personally. And people who aren't close friends on fb can't see anything i say about the kids. Bu each mother gets to set her own boundaries!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't see a problem once they are old enough. As for FB I have setting on friends only and I only have local people that I actually know IYWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hahaha my sister and I made a tent out of sheets and pegs as kids and slept in the back yard, hahaha I will not do it with DD because I am a big frady cat, but I like the idea of doing it in the lounge

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbabailey For This Useful Post:

NoTubesNikki  (20-01-2013)