+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it's silly. I just wouldn't watch it myself . I know plenty of people who feel that the more they see the better prepared they are. I'm a firm believer that it doesn't matter what I see on telly, my birthing experience probably won't be like what I see.

I'm going elective C section this time and I STILL haven't watched that show even having had a child before. Mostly because I had a very traumatic labour with him and it brings back a lot of yucky memories. So if you're comfortable watching it then I say go for it .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can also do a search on youtube for homebirths and it will give you a different view on birth too. I find myself getting too angry at how women are treated on OBEM so I don't watch it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 36 weeks first time mum - Am I silly to watch one born every minute?

I watched 2 episodes tonight and although they were a bit confronting (baby born with bowel on the outside and another baby born really limp and not crying for AGES), it was comforting to see how well some women can handle labour - makes me hope I can be as strong as some of those ladies :-) I'll keep watching and as a pp suggested, just skip any episodes that I don't feel comfortable watching. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think I've seen every episode/ season now and can truly say there's only been 1 episode that actually made me second guess labour! It was absolutely horrific, I nearly vomited.

Having said that, with hindsight, it did make me realise and appreciate what can go wrong so to be prepared for anything - and not demand my birth plan be followed to the letter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It wasn't around when DS was born nearly 6 years ago, but I did watch it a couple of times during my second pregnancy with DD. I found it pretty useless as far as preparing for birth, but I did find YouTube videos helpful. One Born Every Minute is interesting, but I found that I felt stressed out watching it.

Thanks
    Reviews

I enjoyed watching it during my pregnancy but recommend the UK one over the USA one. As some pp have said, YouTube have some beautiful videos as well. Good luck with your birth

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 36 weeks first time mum - Am I silly to watch one born every minute?

Quote Originally Posted by Plexus Solaire View Post
    It's only natural to want to watch a show about about birth and pregnancy when you're expecting I watched it all though my recent pregnancy and if you can handle the emotional side of things, thanks to your ever changing, raging hormones (I cried whenever they showed the baby being born, every single time I was a mess haha) then go for it.
    Some might say it can give you a false view of reality and what not, but I didn't ever find myself too wrapped in it and it was the last thing on my mind when I went into labour, so just remember that every birth and experience is different.
    The last time I watched it, I turned it off after 5 minutes as it was a particularly full on episode- alot of screaming and complications- and my waters broke that very same night!
    Oh dear sounds like me, im a blubbering mess when their born and first cuddles with mum lol

Sent from my GT-I8150T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep I watched the uk one when I was pregnant and cried every time without fail when the bub was born too lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Leading up to giving birth, I lived on the Discovery Health channel watching shows like A Baby Story! Definitely not silly

Thanks
    Reviews

I watched it when I was pregnant with DS and thought it was fantastic reference to how women and their partners cope with birth and how different it can be for everyone.

After I had DS I seemed to cry so much more when watching the last season, it just takes me straight back to my DS birth and all the amazing emotions I felt looking at him for the first time.