+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 36 weeks first time mum - Am I silly to watch one born every minute?

I decided to start watching one born every minute so I might have a more accurate idea of what to expect from my labour and birth. I'm watching an early episode with a girl who's 20 and going nuts with the pain and its scaring me a bit but I wonder if maybe she's being a bit over dramatic or whether this is what I should expect... Do you think it's worth it to watch shows like this?
    I also started reading "Birth Skills" by Juju Sundin today to prepare me...

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

I don't think it's silly at all! I've started watching it now I'm pregnant; I had an elective c/s last time so don't really know what to expect either.

I want to live ****** it on the web but can't seem to do it but I think it's a really great reference, and if you watch a lot, it just shows you no two births are identical- some women are vocal, some are quiet. Some want natural, some are walking through the doors screaming for drugs. Some are assisted, some just seem to sneeze and the baby pops out lol!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

JessicaBailey  (20-01-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, not silly at all. I think OBEM shows how differently everyone handles labour, and at the end of the ep it generally shows that the mums have come out the other side a-ok...it's just part of the process. One of the best ones I have seen is Lydia's waterbirth (season 2 I think). I would like to put my order in for one of those.

Thanks
    Reviews

I love one born every minute! I'm 28 weeks so not as far slings as you. Each episode usually shows a different kind of birth, mother, partner, support team interventions etc i find it useful to know that births are not always the same and that anything can happen. It's opened my eyes for different births!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I agree with the pp, watch it, it gives you a great idea of how labour is different for everyone. But I say watch the UK not the US version.
    Last edited by preggasaurus; 20-01-2013 at 19:52.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (20-01-2013),lones  (21-01-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I don't think it's silly at all! I've started watching it now I'm pregnant; I had an elective c/s last time so don't really know what to expect either.

I want to live ****** it on the web but can't seem to do it but I think it's a really great reference, and if you watch a lot, it just shows you no two births are identical- some women are vocal, some are quiet. Some want natural, some are walking through the doors screaming for drugs. Some are assisted, some just seem to sneeze and the baby pops out lol!
    If you have sbs on demand they have one or 2 at a time on there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 36 weeks first time mum - Am I silly to watch one born every minute?

I personally wouldn't if it is your first, it can be over exaggerated and could scare the sh!t out of you! I was about 36 when it was on and I just taped them for after I had my baby, that way I didn't scare myself! Of that reminded birth pain, especially through someone else eyez

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I would recommend watching the whole series if you're going to watch it at all. they do show a variation of births so you can see how different one birth is to the next

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely recommend same as PP, watch the UK, not the US version!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's only natural to want to watch a show about about birth and pregnancy when you're expecting I watched it all though my recent pregnancy and if you can handle the emotional side of things, thanks to your ever changing, raging hormones (I cried whenever they showed the baby being born, every single time I was a mess haha) then go for it.
    Some might say it can give you a false view of reality and what not, but I didn't ever find myself too wrapped in it and it was the last thing on my mind when I went into labour, so just remember that every birth and experience is different.
    The last time I watched it, I turned it off after 5 minutes as it was a particularly full on episode- alot of screaming and complications- and my waters broke that very same night!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 20-01-2013 at 20:21.