+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should I continue to breastfeed?

I am currently exclusively breastfeeding DD of 3 months and the original plan was to continue till she's 1 like I have done with DS. But DH and I are going away in July for 2 weeks. She will be 9 months then.
    I am not sure what to do. It would be very difficult to store 2 weeks worth of breast milk. And keeping the supply up will be very hard too, even if I pump every 3 hours it will still decrease dramatically.
    The other option is to give her formula, which means I will have to start giving her formula earlier so she will get use to it by the time we leave. Currently we try to give her expressed breast milk once a day in a bottle so she will get used to the bottle.
    I am not sure what to do, formula or try to store breast milk and keep supply up while away?

What would you do?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Where are you going? Can you not feed her when you are away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You could have 2 weeks worth of ebm, you just freeze it. But keeping up your supply is another story, I've always found it hard to express the same amounts that my boys used to drink directly from me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't worry about it now. Seriously. It's 6 months away. Some bubbas wean by 9 months. Others are down to 3 feeds a day. Mine were on 6 feeds a day at that point, but not all of them are.

Taking formula from a bottle (or not) at 3 months doesn't mean it will be easy or hard at 9 months. You'll need to practice a lot closer to the time (eg. 2 months prior). I think you store EBM as possible before you go, but not in a hurry just before you go or you'll end up with mastitis from oversupply while you are away. I think you'll need to supplement with formula while you away, but at 9 months I don't see that as a big issue.

You seem quite anxious about going away (I've read your other posts) and maybe you need to have a serious chat with dh about whether you actually go or not. I know you've probably paid for flights/etc, but he will need accom for himself, so maybe he could go alone instead and then you'd be a lot less stressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Should I continue to breastfeed?

I would try to keep going for sure. At 9 months I think my DS1 was down to 3-4 feeds daily so hopefully it won't be that hard to build up the amount needed. Just express every couple of days and shove it in the freezer. You have six months to do it in. And I reckon you'd keep up your supply enough, it's only two weeks. You could bump it back up if it drops a little anyway with herbs etc when you get back.

But that's just me. It really depends how much you want to do those few more months and if you can be bothered etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Where are you going? Can you not feed her when you are away?
    We are going to china on a business trip and won't be taking the kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would just try and see how it goes.

I got a nasty infection after DD6 was born, and none of the BF safe meds could shift it, so at nine months old, I had to stop feeding for two weeks to take some antibiotics.

After the two weeks my daughter was so happy to be allowed to feed again, and fed voraciously for one day, then was completely uninterested the following day and never fed again.

I would just do your best and let bub decide. If bub keeps going after you return, then great. If not, then switch to formula.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    Don't worry about it now. Seriously. It's 6 months away. Some bubbas wean by 9 months. Others are down to 3 feeds a day. Mine were on 6 feeds a day at that point, but not all of them are.

Taking formula from a bottle (or not) at 3 months doesn't mean it will be easy or hard at 9 months. You'll need to practice a lot closer to the time (eg. 2 months prior). I think you store EBM as possible before you go, but not in a hurry just before you go or you'll end up with mastitis from oversupply while you are away. I think you'll need to supplement with formula while you away, but at 9 months I don't see that as a big issue.

You seem quite anxious about going away (I've read your other posts) and maybe you need to have a serious chat with dh about whether you actually go or not. I know you've probably paid for flights/etc, but he will need accom for himself, so maybe he could go alone instead and then you'd be a lot less stressed.
    Lol yes I am very anxious about going away and leaving the kids. I am super protective, maybe over protective and generally worry a lot about everything! It was suppose to be one week and now it's 2 weeks!
    Unfortunately I have to go with him due to some business reasons
    And can't take the kids, I don't really want to take them actually, it polluted over there and it will be super hot and I don't want them to get sick then have to wait all day in a hospital packed with sick people. And also I have heard horror stories about people kidnapping kids on the streets, obviously it doesn't happen all the time but you see what I mean? I am pretty paranoid about everything
    Yes you are right probably too early to think about it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I would try to keep going for sure. At 9 months I think my DS1 was down to 3-4 feeds daily so hopefully it won't be that hard to build up the amount needed. Just express every couple of days and shove it in the freezer. You have six months to do it in. And I reckon you'd keep up your supply enough, it's only two weeks. You could bump it back up if it drops a little anyway with herbs etc when you get back.

But that's just me. It really depends how much you want to do those few more months and if you can be bothered etc.
    How long can you freeze breast milk for?

Thanks
    Reviews

Ummm where in China are you going?