+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Legal Aid Question..

A bit of background..I have been separated with my ex for 4 years and despite bitterness and at times hostility from him, we have been managing to co parent reasonably amicably during this time and have no court orders etc in place. (We have a 50/50 share arrangement.) This has meant letting go of a lot of rubbish he throws my way to keep the peace.

I have been in a new relationship for 5 months. It is still new, but is serious and has future possibilities. Since he has become aware of this, the hostility and tension has really increased

I was recently told by a mutual friend he has been contacting legal aid. He earns about 50,000.. Does anyone know if he'd be entitled to receive aid? The reason I ask is that is because he is a tight A and is unlikely to pursue legal action if it costs him. My concern is that he will try to put me through hell with unreasonable claims and allegations because he is bitter I have re partnered. I am not so concerned with the court outcome as I am confident the arrangement we have in place is in the best interests of our dd, and I have always endeavored to respect and encourage her relationship with her dad.
    Just don't need the stress and nastiness of a court battle

Any advice please?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maddysmama For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/publi...legal-aid.aspx

Here is the legal aid information about income and means test. There is a table that should answer your question.

He would have to go through mediation before going to legal aid I would say. Or they would advise him to go through mediation first in any case.

If you are reasonably sure he is going to start springing allegations be careful it can get very serious and expensive depending on the what the allegations are.

Have you asked him if he wants consent orders with the arrangements as they are? Might be a good place to start that way no matter who has a new partner the arrangements for your child are in place.

Good luck! Family law battles are a living hell!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Legal Aid Question..

Thanks so much for that link.. It's very helpful

Yes.. I have witnessed so many very very ugly family court battles I hope it won't happen for us, but it may be time for mediation at least. I'm sick of walking on eggshells.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's okay.

Hope everything turns out well for you