+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default BF and Dining Out my unacceptable experience!

I think aba can revoke there sticker

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Omg! I am furious for you! I would have just gone crazy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What went through my mind when I read your post was to ask the staff to please bring your meal to the disabled toilets for you to eat (not seriously intended obviously). See what their reaction was to be able to retort with "that was were you expected my child to consume their meal"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tropical Bub For This Useful Post:

Eko  (20-01-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    "Excuse me, but would you mind moving to the mother's room?"
    "Yes, I would mind."

Discussion over.

I think you were lovely for being so nice about moving in the first place, and then to be told that you were expected to sit on a toilet to feed your baby? No... Freakin'... Way.
    I think it's great that some businesses/establishments provide a safe and clean place for mothers to go to breastfeed but it's entirely up to a mother whether or not she wants to USE that facility. It is NOT up to someone else to ask her to do it.

I'm so cranky you got treated like that and I FF DS. I plan to BF this bub and I'm pretty sure that the rather polite "Get bent" that people will get if someone asks the same of me is going to be enjoyable to give!

Thanks
    Reviews

Omg... This is absolutely shocking!

I would have cut sick.

Why do other parents and families need to stare? It's not as if BF mums turn into raging animals or gremlins or something.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

I don't get why we're allowed to eat at a table but the minute a mother whips out her breast for her baby at the same table, it's the worst thing in the world?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't breast feed away from home much but I found myself in similar circumstances at a birthday lunch just over the Christmas holidays.
    When it came time to settle my DS2 I took myself off to try find a parents room but all I found was the normal toilets and a disabled toilet with baby change area.
    Like you said OP, no seat, nothing.
    Not that I would have considered feeding him there if there was.
    It never dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to feed my baby at this restaurant, which I might add, is huge and encourages families to dine there.
    What are you meant to do?
    I hate having to feed in front of people and there was no way in hell I was doing it in front of diners at my table (my own choice I have no problem with others doing it). Luckily I had a bottle with water in it that he was happy to chew on for a bit.
    l was very disappointed though, I don't go out much so then I was second guessing myself, wondering was I expecting too much, but it's just not acceptable is it?
    If you serve food and drink then you should cater for all walks of life that come through your doors.
    A toilet is NOT good enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are all right disgusting indeed! I do like the ideas of removing sticker and asking to eat my meal in there. Pretty sure tha I probably would have been kicked out for even asking to eat my meal in the toilet! As for staring, ive found that if the adults stare the kids stare too. I understand some kids may not know whats going on when BF. i found this out in a shopping centre parents room when the son asked his mum what I was doing to the baby! But im sure 100% of adults know what breastfeeding is. And to dine at a family friendly restaurant and BF we should not be made to feel embarrassed or like an stared at like an animal at a zoo! That time has got to be the worst ever dining experience. But after reading you comments seems to be the normal to suggest "Toilet feeding" to nursing mothers! Is that what Australia is turning into.. A country where Bf is only supported and pushed during pregnancy yet not really something you should do??

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    I don't breast feed away from home much but I found myself in similar circumstances at a birthday lunch just over the Christmas holidays.
    When it came time to settle my DS2 I took myself off to try find a parents room but all I found was the normal toilets and a disabled toilet with baby change area.
    Like you said OP, no seat, nothing.
    Not that I would have considered feeding him there if there was.
    It never dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to feed my baby at this restaurant, which I might add, is huge and encourages families to dine there.
    What are you meant to do?
    I hate having to feed in front of people and there was no way in hell I was doing it in front of diners at my table (my own choice I have no problem with others doing it). Luckily I had a bottle with water in it that he was happy to chew on for a bit.
    l was very disappointed though, I don't go out much so then I was second guessing myself, wondering was I expecting too much, but it's just not acceptable is it?
    If you serve food and drink then you should cater for all walks of life that come through your doors.
    A toilet is NOT good enough.
    I think the point of the op's post was that she was told to go to a parents room that did not exist.

A business must allow you to breast feed anywhere you choose but they are under no obligation to provide a separate room for you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by penny05 View Post

Extra bit of info:

Straight from ABA website about the Breastfeeding Welcome Here program (https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/services/welcome)

Criteria for breastfeeding friendly venues to display the sticker are:

A welcoming attitude from staff and management
    A smoke free environment
    Room to move a pram

So yes at this restaurant there was room to move a pram and it was smoke free! Welcoming attitude from staff and management was very questionable.
    I guess seeing as there is no dot point stating there needs to a safe and comfortable environment to BF in that the restaurant is doing nothing wrong by sending BF mothers to the disabled toilet, as long as there is a welcoming attitude about telling a woman she can BF in a toilet then that fulfils that sticker eligibility requirement?

They are doing something wrong as they are not welcoming you to feed in the dining area, that is illegal.

They are not obliged to provide you with a separate area from other diners and they must allow you to feed in the restaurant.