+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Doc thinks I have chickenpox: 18 weeks :-(

So as the title says I went to the doc today with these 3 funny blistery bumps on my legs. I thought they were bites that had become infected. The doc thinks they look like chicken pox! I've had CP as a child, but apparently you can get it multiple times?
    I'll call my ob on Monday but does anyone have experience with this? I'm freaking out. Apparently the worst time to get it is between 13 and 20 weeks. Awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is possible to lose immunity to chicken pox when you get older, even if you've had it as a child. I had a blood test early on which showed I wasn't immune to it, and had to have rubella shot.

I found this, may make you feel a little less worried.

Women who do experience chicken pox early in their pregnancy have a very low chance of infecting their unborn baby (about 0.4% from conception to 13 weeks and 2.2 % from 13 to 20 weeks)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovable For This Useful Post:

AprilJoy  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh please get your OB to check them out. I had a blood test and apparently I'm not immune to CP. My OB strictly advised me to see her within 24 hours once I've got CP or think that I may have CP. good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It may not be chicken pox, there are other spotty things that look and act very similar. School sores being one and mollescum both generally harmless. Chicken pox tend to start on the body but keep an eye on them, if you've had it before I'd hope it would only be a mild second case if it did turn out to be chicken pox.

Also chicken pox and rubella are 2 different things and 2 different vaccines. They routinely test your immunity to rubella when first pregnant but not so much chicken pox unless requested but some docs might do that as routine as well as previous posters have said

Try not to stress, chances are it'll all be fine whether it is or isn't chicken pox

Thanks
    Reviews

Could it be pupps or something similar? Hoping you get some answers soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Did you have a blood test when you first got pregnant? My GP tested for it as routine, look for 'varicella' on your blood test results to see if you have immunity.

PS, my mum had it when she was pregnant with me, and I am fine. Anecdotal I know, just wanted to give you some hope

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had CP as a teenager and then infecting my younger two siblings. Because I was older I got it REALLY bad and while I eventually got sores on my legs and EVERYWHERE else, they didn't start on my legs - they started on my back and stomach - and actually that was the same with my siblings. My guess it that it isn't CP. Having said that I think you can get shingles on your arms and legs which is another strain of CP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovable View Post
    It is possible to lose immunity to chicken pox when you get older, even if you've had it as a child. I had a blood test early on which showed I wasn't immune to it, and had to have rubella shot.

I found this, may make you feel a little less worried.

Women who do experience chicken pox early in their pregnancy have a very low chance of infecting their unborn baby (about 0.4% from conception to 13 weeks and 2.2 % from 13 to 20 weeks)

A rubella shot? That covers measles not chicken pox?

Thanks
    Reviews

As others have said CP almost always presents it self on the stomach or back, children usually have a temperature as well, not sure if it would be the same for adults.

I would go see my OB asap, but wouldn't freak out, as it sounds like it probably isn't CP.

Also wanted to add my friend really did have CP, with her last pregnancy, she now has a perfectly healthy 18mth baby boy as a result of that pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Usually all CP causes start on her tummy or back. You usually won't get it again unless your first infection of it was mild but I only see that happen now a days coz kids get the injection, but that doesn't stop them, it just means they might get a more mild case so they may end up getting it again. I had it when I was 8 and my test showed my immunity was still high. I really doubt it's CP