+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Do you have separate bank accounts as your spouse?

We have separate accounts. It's just how it is. We've discussed setting up a joint account but the time needed, direct debit stuff, it just makes us go eh why bother

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you have separate bank accounts as your spouse?

We have our mortgage offset account where all the money goes, but we both still have our separate credit cards and accounts and share portfolios. We travel a lot and often separate so better to have access to several accounts when some get hit for fraud or wallet stolen cards randomly frozen. I also have about 100 k sitting in a my only account. If something happened to my Dh I could use it whilst probate on all other stuff went on, or if he did the dirty on me I could have that cash whilst sorting thru assets.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I find it strange too. One of the first things we did after we were married was to open our joint account.

Annoyingly though we can't have a joint credit card, so I am an additional cardholder on his account. Day to day it makes no difference, but it's very annoying when the bank refuses to talk to me about that account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I should mention by separate bank accounts I mean they have no idea what the other has/makes... I know of at least two couples who have secret accounts
    I have a rough idea how much he makes. He has a rough idea what I make too now that I'm working.

We just don't have access to each other's account unless he gives me his card (which happens a fair bit - he's the moneymaker, not me).

I am given an allowance we both agreed upon... because like I said, I'm a spender. Give me $10, I'll spend $15.

He pays his bills then leaves himself with a little left... everything else goes into savings (which he NEVER dips into! Even when I think he should, he won't... he just waits for next pay). We would never be able to get a deposit for a house if things didn't operate this way.

It's all well and good to say (just before anyone says it) that adults should be able to be trusted with money, etc etc, but I'm just not. I'm not going to watch us go broke to see if I can change either. So I'm quite happy with the separate accounts thing... because otherwise, we'd have no money.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have separate accounts but I know all DF's details as I take care of all the bills and I have a copy of his card.

We have separate accounts purely because we've just never bothered to join them? We're with the same bank though so it's not hard to transfer funds. And nothing is "his money" and "my money" it's all shared, just in a separate place lol. Plus certain bills get paid with his pay and others with my FTB, etc so it's just easier.
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 19-01-2013 at 22:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

As a finance analyst, I think it's better for a business or a family to have a very straight fwd system.

One joint account means more transparency on how much money is earned, how it's spent and how to increase savings.

Since DH and I have joined our accounts we saved twice as much in a year without any pay increase :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    we have so many accounts - mortgage, personal, business but all joint , ive always assumed thats what everyone does but my SIL/BIL have separate everything to the point where they keep tabs on who owes who money (you owe me $20 for dinner the other night type thing) which i think is weird when they have 2 kids but it works for them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seperate here. Dh is very good with $ and saves whereas i am terrible and spend frivolously. We used to have disagreements about spending so the way we overcame this was that we agreed on how much i would contribute to the mortgage and i would pay for groceries. whatever was left i could spend as i pleased. Dh pays mortgage, bills and big ticket items and saves. We both enjoy having the freedom to spend as we please so long as all bills etc are taken care of.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonpairplusone View Post
    We have had joint accounts ever since we got engaged 10 years ago..I can't imagine having mine & yours especially since I've been a SAHM for most of our marriage...it's definitely all ours.
    My DH and I have separate accounts but it is not a mine and yours situation. We keep our money relatively separate but all the money is ours and a joint decision is needed to make any large purchases. We talk every month or so about how much we have and what we are going to do with it. I considered joint accounts when we got married but it all seemed too hard and we were happy with how we were managing things so we kept it as is.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DH is a huge Miser...I can't stand it and its the source of 90% of our arguments what's important to me isn't important to him so most of the 'fun' things come out of my account and the everyday stuff out of his however even though we're married we still share bills and rent etc but because of him being a miser I don't want to justify every cent spend on things I find benefit the family for enjoyment so I use my account lol one day we will join accounts but not till he stops brig a tight **** thinking poverty is right around the corner!