+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Do you have separate bank accounts as your spouse?

We have joint accounts but I still have one of my own as well... but he has access to it as its linked to our joint account. All money is mutual and shared here.

Oh and he earns the money but I do all the bill paying and finances. He sucks at it, when it's up to him our bills are always late

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have seperate banks and seperate money. He has his responsibilties that he uses his money for (bills) and I dont pay them or even look at them. I have my own. I buy all the food and pay for MY car. We tell each other who can buy what when it comes to the kids (birthdays & xmas) and we just go from there. He wont even touch a bottle of alcohole that *I* bought because its *mine* lol Im like "Dude, I bought it for US so you dont need to ask" but he still does. He even asks to each the food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Do you have separate bank accounts as your spouse?

Yes we have the best system for us I think!

One joint account + each has a separate account. All incomes get transferred in the joint account and from there we pay all expenses for the family (rent, utilities, food, car etc).
    We also both get the same allowance transferred into our separate accounts for play money (alcohol, restaurants, gifts and what not).
    The left over if any goes into saving.

We love it as we work as a team towards the family finance but we still have some freedom to spend money on stupid things without having to discuss it with anyone :-)
    it's also great for gifts...
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 19-01-2013 at 21:28.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (19-01-2013),Funchu  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you have separate bank accounts as your spouse?

Dp and I have seperate accounts that our pays go into, but we also have a joint account that we can both access through our own accounts iykwim.
    We transfer money to each others accounts as needed and all money is shared as needed. Works well for us.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    DH and i have separate accounts we honestly just haven't bothered to go into the bank to get a joint one.

I have access to his and he to mine thru internet banking and i manage all our funds by transferring between our accounts & credit card accounts
    This is the same as DH and I. That one day that we keep talking about hasn't happened yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ... gee maybe we are the exception, seems like the 'norm' to have separate accounts
    (pls I'm not being judgemental, Im just curious as to see what others do)
    ... feeling old school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me and my partner have separate accounts, we arent married but we own a house together and are counted as defacto so thats still pretty well the same thing. We co-ordinate our finances but I prefer the separate accounts. I like that feeling that I am a little bit my own person too. In my previous relationship I had nothing that was mine. The car, the furniture, the house, the computer, the money, it was all his. It wasnt really good for my sense of self so for me its a little bit about convenience (cant be bothered to set up a whole new joint account system) and a little bit about maintaining a bit of independence.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I should mention by separate bank accounts I mean they have no idea what the other has/makes... I know of at least two couples who have secret accounts
    Well upon clarification, we have no secrets with our finances at all - I actually manage DH's money a lot using online banking. He is not as good with budgeting as me, so I help him out.

We still share finances/expenses, it's just that our pays still get put into our individual accounts.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm feeling old school too OP. shared everything here and have done always.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews

Separate, always will be. It's more comfortable for us. We know how much each other makes and what bills we have etc. we transfer money to each other if we need to.