+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you have separate bank accounts as your spouse?

So not really BH relater but DH and I have noticed most of our friends and family members have separate bank accounts (married couples) we both think this is very strange, especially after children. We have our finances together, and I take care of it all, once a week we sit down and I give him a quick run down of what's what, probably once every 6 months we have a big budget 'meeting' and recap on savings & bills.
    So my question is are we the norm or are we 'weird'?
    and why would you have separate accounts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I think it's stranger to have separate accounts

I get a tiny amount of FTB and it still goes into my own account not our joint but I refuse to go in their office or wait in the phone for 4 hours so yeah..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DH and i have separate accounts we honestly just haven't bothered to go into the bank to get a joint one.

I have access to his and he to mine thru internet banking and i manage all our funds by transferring between our accounts & credit card accounts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Yep.

I am shocking with money. He saves.

Were it not for separate accounts we would always have no money. We would, however, own many many dresses. Lol.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (20-01-2013),Funchu  (20-01-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (19-01-2013),PoppyLoppy  (19-01-2013),twotrunks  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP and I have been together 4.5 years - no kids.
    We have our own separate bank accounts - no joint accounts at all and I think it will always be that way. Neither of us know the passwords to access the others account.

DP still leaves me to manage bills etc. So I'll tell him what's owed this week and he transfers money to my account with his share of our rent.
    DP handles his car loan and mobile phone account but that's it. DP is very generous and will pay for our extras like dates and meals, or give me extra cash if I let him know I'm short on funds for some reason.

My last partner and I had a joint bank account after being together about 2.5 years and it ended BADLY. So I'm happy with the way it is in my current relationship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We​operate as a unit, shared accounts is part of that.

I
    find it odd too OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should mention by separate bank accounts I mean they have no idea what the other has/makes... I know of at least two couples who have secret accounts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

DH and I have separate accounts. For no other reason that we're lazy. We have different direct debits that come out of our different accounts that we can't be bothered changing.
    Since we've been married, DH has opened a new credit card account to which I have an additional card, I also have my own card for his savings account. My FTB goes into my savings and goes towards school fees and the kids extracurricular activities. My credit card really only gets used if I want to buy DH a present without him knowing.
    DH is the breadwinner, but I do the budgets. We don't need to have a joint account for this to work, although I'd say that when we get a mortgage we'll re-jig all the finances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

DH & I have separate accounts & have done so for 12 years!

Doesn't feel strange to me. I think it works well & I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

The only time I have ever relied on anyone else for financial support was whilst I was briefly on maternity leave.

If DH was the sole breadwinner then a joint account would be helpful, but this is not the case.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have had joint accounts ever since we got engaged 10 years ago..I can't imagine having mine & yours especially since I've been a SAHM for most of our marriage...it's definitely all ours.