+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default CS due to Pelvis opening not big enough - am I naive?

My DS was born via emergency c-section as he couldn't fit through the birth canal. He never even engaged, your OB did what was best for you and your baby so pay no attention to your friend! I dilated to 10cm's as well... He turned out to be an almost 10 pounder
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 19-01-2013 at 12:50.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

You are not naive. Same thing for me three months ago. Labour for 6hrs, reached 10cms. Pushed for an hr and a half. They then tried forceps but my little man would not fit. I had a emergency csection and will be having elective from here on. Maybe your friend is naive but sometimes they just don't fit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: CS due to Pelvis opening not big enough - am I naive?

If you had been told early in pregnancy that your pelvis was too small quite likely that would've been a load of bull but since you had a good go at a vaginal delivery then it sounds like you did the right thing. Were you upright when pushing though? Lying down is supposed to make your pelvic opening up to 25% smaller. I've heard of lots of women who have an obstructed first labour who go on to have a successfull vbac so maybe if there is a next time you won't need to CS. Just enjoy your lovely child and don't worry what other people think.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I was induced laboured all day and was doing fine until they turned the drip up, after a few more hours and a few vomits later my midwife did an internal and said I was doing great and I was 6cm the OB came in not long after and did an internal and said no your only 3cm and he wanted to do a csection I said no and that I would have an epidural and see how I go so OB came back 4 hours later did another internal and said you are only 4cm now choppy chop time I didn't know what to do and as a FTM I thought I should just trust what my OB was telling me.. I hated the whole caeser experience and wish I had of said no and kept going cause I now believe I could have done it.. Because of my age if I'm going to give ds a sibling I need to do it pretty quickly and wanted to be pregnant by the time ds was 6 months but was told I have to wait until he is at least 12 months before falling again and that I would have to have a caeser again because of the short time between pregnancies a vbac is to risky I am gutted to say the least and had I known that I would definately have kept trying to deliver vaginally..when ds was pulled out my OB said there was no way he was coming out normally (he was 8 pound 11) but I think he was just saying that.. I have since found out that my OB had been on for 8 days straight and had been very busy and was exhausted so I believe that's why he wanted to do caeser so that he could go home.. I know the only thing that really matters is my beautiful little boy is here safe and sound but I'm not sure if I can or how to make peace with how he got here and am devastated that I will never know what it's like to deliver normally..the comment about you being rubbish at labour ong us ridiculous but I do believe in the private system they are way to quick to caeser if I went public I have no doubt I would have had a different birth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Angels4me For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm sorry, but if you were about to push a baby out, doing all the hard yards yourself, why would an Ob or midwife or anyone else come in and request a csection if it was not necessary? I could just imagine it - Ob walks in, 'oh hang on, lets do an emergency csection because myself and the other 10 people required have nothing better to do'? Your colleague was not at your hospital when you were in labour, they know nothing about the circumstances. As someone who has had 2 emergency csections I know it is disappointing/ hard to move on, but I think we need to remember that our care providers do what is best at that time to achieve our desired outcome (healthy bub/healthy Mum). I could go on but I won't, haha...
    Congratulations on your little ones arrival, if a vaginal birth is something you want in the future then you can discuss with your Ob, in the meantime enjoy your baby, they are small for such a short time (I didn't enjoy my first because I dwelled too much on my 'failure' to vb!)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Eko  (19-01-2013),giggle berry  (19-01-2013),twotrunks  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it was that your pelvis is too small, but the baby was in the wrong position during labour. In alot of cases it could have been in a posterior position early on and instead of putting its chin on its chest and its skull molding inwards, they can be looking up, head back and their head presses against the pelvis, its head then molds and swells into a large cone and that's why it gets stuck.
    I don't think there was absolutely anything you could have done when this happens, it also doesn't mean you can't birth vaginally for your next baby or there is something wrong with you, but sometimes this just happens and being your first it tends to be more common.
    What they did in the old days was use forceps and force the baby out, damaging the mother badly and the baby.
    Your dr did the right thing imo.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

From reading your replies I am thinking that perhaps DS was not in the right position. When he was delivered he had a severe cone head! Severe as in couldn't fit a hat/beanie on it, was quite alarming. Seeing it made me feel guilty that I pushed as long as I did.

I spent my entire labour in an upright position, most of it kneeling on the bed holding the bed head but at the end my MW had me sit on the toilet to push. She said that position may help him move down. I had a very active labour.

DS is now 14months and I think my OB and I did the right thing. 👍

As for future births, I guess I will need to talk to my OB about choices if/when I fall pregnant again.

In the meantime I'm going to try and ignore my know it all colleague. 😉

Thanks
    Reviews

I wish I'd had a cs, my DD got stuck and ended up being pulled out, which resulted in erbs palsy. Lots of physio and a bit of luck later and she's slowly regaining use of her arm. I'll more then likely be asking for a cs next time. Don't let people question your decision, if your Bub is healthy than that's the main thing (as long as your ok too that is ).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I was diagnosed with CDP too, laboured 17 hours and only got to 7cns (with oxytocin given to me also). We decided to go on with CS as bub was not going anywhere. My ob struggled to pull DS out of my pelvis as he was Really stuck in it ;( poor bub had neck problems from bring stuck in the same position too.

I won't be trying vbac next time (inadequate epi meant I felt every pull and tug very traumatic) as don't wAnt to go trough the same ideal again. But I've heard that in some cases women can vbac with CDP because their pelvis can widen differently with different pregnancies.

With scans and monitoring your dr should be able to work it out.

Btw You work mate sounds like a know it all idiot :-/ I can't stand it when people comment about your birth and make you question your decision.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like your colleague would possibly do better by keeping their misinformed opinion to themselves.
    So the Ob might have been wrong. Your bub may just have been in a bad position. Or one of a billion other things that could have been wrong. But the simple fact of the matter is that making you second guess or even feel silly about it all AFTER the fact is absolutely and 100% futile and just downright cruel!

Not to mention the fact that I'd be questioning this person's medical experience that they feel they have the knowledge to question the people who were there at the time and were making a decision based on their medical training, not their non-medical and unskilled opinion.
    Sorry to seem a bit aggro about it but there's nothing worse in this world than making a mother question something that she can't change after it's already happened and probably couldn't have changed at the time anyway!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post: