+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default CS due to Pelvis opening not big enough - am I naive?

After a really great labour, no intervention, fully dilated and 2hrs of pushing (according to MW was good pushing) my OB advised me that DS was in a great position, but had not moved through opening of my pelvis and his head was already severely moulded.

He felt that DS was just not going to be able to be birthed vaginally and recommended that we move to a emergency CS. I was fine with this as I trusted his opinion.

I really have been at peace with this choice until the other day at work a colleague told me that I was naive and that my pelvis would have allowed him through and that either the OB just wanted to do a CS or I was just not very good at labouring and they were being kind by telling me this excuse for performing CS....

Now I am second guessing myself and that decision....

So does anyone else have experience with this?

Am I naive? Was I just a rubbish labourer? I thought I was pretty good at it up until that point....

Thanks
    Reviews

My exMIL couldn't deliver her two sons.... The boys wouldn't even engage, she had an X-ray and sure enough it showed her pelvis was out of shape. This was 32odd years ago but it could be entirely possible

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbabailey For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My MIL was also the same. You should listen to your ob and midwife, not someone at work who thinks they know more! It sounds like you did an amazing job!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

Eko  (19-01-2013),giggle berry  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i laboured for 17hrs and got to 5cms. it took another 4hrs to get to 6cms then ds got distressed. I was in agony and severly exhausted so for the safety of me and my baby my dr's and midwives offered the option of emergemcy c/s. He was 8lb11, cord around neck and no way was i in any form to push him out in the end. Every birth and woman's body is different and reacts differently. I had complete trust in my dr's, their communication and honesty with me was brilliant. I am at peace with how ds was born. He's healthy and here.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-01-2013),Mum2EandR  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a midwife giggle berry and it sounds like you did everything in your power to achieve a vaginal birth.. Sometimes babies just don't fit, my second bub certainly didn't, after hours of trying!!

Two hours of effective pushing and moulding on bubs head with no real decent are a good indication your bubby wasn't going to fit, so don't second guess yourself.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-01-2013),Mum2EandR  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant descent not decent, sorry!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds like your colleague should STFU!! Sorry to be rude but it sooo frustrates me when people put down others birth experiences!

I had a very similar experience with my first birth (emer C after 3 hours fully dilated in private hospy with OB), just works out that way sometimes. Took me a while to make peace with it and comments like your colleagues don't help anyone!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comfyinpjs For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (19-01-2013),giggle berry  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cases of CPD (aka small pelvis) is pretty darn rare. I was told the same thing. 15 hours of labour, 2 hours pushing, no baby so c-section is was. Then the ol' CPD card was played, "you wouldn't have given birth vaginally, pelvis too small" blah blah blah blah

Guess what? I went on to birth my 3 other babies vaginally, 2 of them were a lot bigger than my first, too!

So yeah, it's possible you were fed a line of crock about having a small pelvis and the truth is, you'll never know unless you succeed in a vaginal birth, whether you could have done it the first time or not.

Offering X-Rays and Pelvimetry scans are pretty useless. What's the point of measuring the pelvic opening when you're not in labour? Given that pregnancy and labour create hormones to soften and help widen the opening of the pelvis to allow for a baby to fit, plus the moulding of the babes head to help them fit through the opening, it does seem that scanning a fused, not labouring pelvis for size would be inaccurate

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

CMF  (19-01-2013),giggle berry  (19-01-2013),Happy2be3  (19-01-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry, and they are calling YOU naive? Unless your colleague moonlights as an OB or widwife they should keep their stupid, uninformed, based-on-own-limited-experience, comments to themselves!

I can understand your doubt, I had two OB's, the midwives and a paediatcian all confirm that we needed to proceed to emergency CS for DD's safety and I still catch myself thinking 'what if' sometimes.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Eko  (19-01-2013),giggle berry  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was born via an emergency c section. My mum is under 5 foot, 40kg, tiny! She was told I was stuck and her pelvis was too small. I don't think they were feeding her a line.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-01-2013)