+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Frequent wakings in the night 5 months and above. Does it happen to your baby?

I read this :

http://www.thesleepstore.co.nz/sleep...to-self-settle

It says babies at 5 months will change as their sleep cycle changes. In the early stages their sleep cycle is about 25-30 mins of light sleep followed by 25-30mins of deep sleep and the cycle starts all over again. But in the article it says at 5 months most babies' sleep cycle changes - they fully wake and need to be put back to sleep, either by self settling or by parents helping them to if they are used to carrying and patting or dummy during bedtime.

So for babies who used to sleep long stretches or sleep through at night before 5 months, they will start waking up very often.

Do you experience this with your baby? Was it really at 5 months?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Frequent wakings in the night 5 months and above. Does it happen to your baby?

I'm very skeptical of books that promote "one size fits all". My girls did their own thing.

Dd1 5wks-6mths 10-12hrs a night with catnaps all day.
    6mths she started to wake up at 1am for a boob but I tried to fix that by including a dream feed which did not work at all.
    6-8/9mths woke up 1-2hrly plus 2x2hr naps
    9-14mths - 2 overnight feeds plus 2 good 2hr naps a day.

Dd2- fed 2-3hrly till 6wks. Then started doing 4th blocks overnight.
    Went to poo 4-5mths with 1-2hrly wake ups. Doing good day sleeps 1-3hrs 2-3 times a day
    Now at 7mths we are getting 1-2 overnight feeds with 2 day sleeps (1+2/2.5hrs) a day.

I feed to sleep till I wean (19mths dd1 weaned) and resettle via patting/shushing/dummy etc. If it takes more than 10min I offer a feed. If that doesn't work I bed share. That ALWAYS works.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's generally at 4 months this is said to happen. It's called the 4 month sleep regression.

As R&A said, it doesn't effect all babies and some in different ways. My DD took to catnapping at 4ish months whereas she would usually sleep 2-3 hour stretches in the day then wouldn't sleep any longer than 40 minutes at a time. I'm not sure if she grew out of the catnapping, but as soon as I started offering top up feeds before her naps at 7 months, she started to self settle and sleep for at least 80 minutes each time. So I'm unsure if she grew out of it or if the changes I made were the difference. I think a bit of both.

A friend of mine was able to feed or rock her baby to sleep and he would only wake once or twice a night for a feed, but at 4 months he started waking every 40-80 minutes at night an she kept feeding him as that was the only way he would go back to sleep, each and every time.

After 4 months of severe sleep deprivation he resorted to controlled crying. It took 28 minutes total for him to put himself to sleep after she went in to comfort him at different intervals. From that night on he self settled and only woke twice a night after that.
    Last edited by CuddlesAwait; 20-01-2013 at 08:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

R&R, yes I totally agree about babies being all different. But I am not looking forward to bub waking like this (if he happens to be in that categrory) from the 5th month on. I think DH and I cannot take it esp when we have an older one to take care of. I reckon teaching him how to self-settle is very important for our family.

Cuddlesawait, we were doing the carry pat dummy routine for sleep and realised that bub got 'hooked' very quickly. Fortunately I read this article and for the past two days we tried carry dummy pat for short while till he's calm, transfer to cot, face away and pat...happy to say we had minimal protest from him! I was so worried that he would cry big time...but it's still early to say...I hope to be able to train him to self settle without much crying....hoping as the days go, I can gradually wean him from needing the carry sshh and pat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Mum2ds

Its important you do what's best for your son and family. If self settling is crucial then do it.

Best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post

Cuddlesawait, we were doing the carry pat dummy routine for sleep and realised that bub got 'hooked' very quickly. Fortunately I read this article and for the past two days we tried carry dummy pat for short while till he's calm, transfer to cot, face away and pat...
    What is the carry, pat, dummy routine? I haven't ever heard of it. Im intrigued! Was it from a book?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's just carry bub give him dummy pat his bum. Not from a book but I think lots parents do that. When he's a bit calm and drowsy we put him in his cot and continue patting till he sleeps. But we are slowly weaning off bit by bit from needing all these patting and carrying, hoping in good time he will learn to self settle wo them.