+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hubby wants to sign up

Hello everyone,

DH and I have two sons DS1 is 3 and DS2 is 1, since Christmas he has been talking about wanting to enlist in the army, he has since started training and working out.

I am having a hard time with this, getting my head around it, I am not an army wife nor did i marry an army man, however that looks to soon be my life.

Can anyone out there offer some advise or help I want to support him but it's not easy when I think he could get posted anywhere in Aust. and i could be moved away from my family and friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think meeting someone before you have kids and him being or expressing that he wants to join the army is a completely different thing but you are Married and have kids and he comes out an tells you this now....I think that it should be a joint decision and I you don't want him to then he should respect that and not do it ....like you said you never signed up to Marry a Army guy....Speak up now....

Thanks
    Reviews

If he wants to feel like he's supporting his country and doing his patriotic duty, while being fit and doing some awesome things, then he should join the Army Reserves. It's as much time as you want to devote, you aren't posted, you get to play with guns, and it sounds like the perfect compromise as you still keep your day job

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-01-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    If he wants to feel like he's supporting his country and doing his patriotic duty, while being fit and doing some awesome things, then he should join the Army Reserves. It's as much time as you want to devote, you aren't posted, you get to play with guns, and it sounds like the perfect compromise as you still keep your day job
    This!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im sure there are some army wives here, maybe do a bit of research and talk to them about what its like.

Aldo, make some time to sit down with your husband and really talk about it. Listen to his reasons, this might be something that he feels incredibly strongly about.

While I see what previous post is saying re: this not being what you signed up for, I also think that as we get older, our goals can change. You owe it to each other yo consider this from both sides, not just automatically say no because its not what you signed up for.

Of course you feelings matter too, but maybe just look into it all a bit more first.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Nmgb  (06-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not just saying no, this is something he feel he needs to do I told him to find the thing that makes his heart sing and he believes the army is it we have talked about the reserves but it is not an option for him.

It really comes down to me doing something I dont want to do or stop him from something he really wants to do.

I guess i am just after some advise from some army wives, how hard is it? does hubby see the kids lot?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Hubby wants to sign up

My DP is in the navy. He has been since before I met home. I know a fair few army wives from our precious posting and know a fair amount. Send me a pm and I can chat to you about it whenever you would.like

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews

My DP has recently joined the army. Him being away for initial training was hard. 80 days at Kapooka felt like a lifetime for me and the girls waiting for him at home.

DP's employment training goes for 18 months so the defence force let us move to be with him because we were from qld and his training is Victoria.

Is it hard? Yes. But he enjoys it and it makes him happy. Does he see the kids? He leaves before they wake up because we're a 20 minute drive from the base but he's home in time for dinner, has holidays etc. it's an adjustment but I'm getting used to it
    Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I'll do my best to answer

Thanks
    Reviews

Thank you <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My hubby enlisted to the Raaf when I was pregnant with our third DD. Yes it was difficult at first but you learn to manage. DH discharged when our eldest DD got sick but is going back in soon. Depending on what position is how much you go away. DH can be away for up to 4months of the year. He leaves home at 715am and gets home by 5pm so still plenty of time to spend with the girls.