+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Starting IVF again after pregnancy loss 2nd or 3rd Trimester

Has anyone been through this? What should we expect? My biggest fear is the first IVF BFN after the loss. I know it will be much harder this time having been pregnant with two perfect babies growing inside me and that I would be due soon. Went to the clinic today to pick up forms, AF due in a few days...feel really numb, just can't believe it.

Would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 19-01-2013 at 04:05.

Thanks
    Reviews

Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Rachel, I've not been in the same situation as you but I can sympathise. I had three transfers, three very early miscarriages so I know the feeling of having to pick yourself up and start at the beginning again.

For me, IVF got tougher as the time went on as we'd get so close, then lose another one and it got exhausting. My only advice would be to try and take one day at a time. Try not to have any expectation as hard as that is, it worked once so it's very likely to work again but you just don't know how many tries you might need. You are probably going to have mixed feelings about it all, trying again after loss can be good because you feel like you are doing something other than waiting, but also hard because its very emotional.

I really hope you get successful on the first few tries, so you don't have to go through too much ivf.

If you did it once, you can do I again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rachael,
    First of all I just wanted to send you some big cyber hugs and to offer you my support. I am finding it difficult to write to you at the moment as your story is close to my heart and although my story started almost 11 years ago it is still very raw.
    My first 2 babies were not ivf but natural conceptions. We lost our first bub (our son) at 24 weeks gestation. Our 2nd bub was born premmie at 34 weeks and she passed away 3 months later. We then chose ivf as we found out that we carried a genetic problem. After carrying my first 2 bubs I thought IVF was going to be easy and was our answer to a healthy bub. But it was not that simple. It took 5 transfers (and 1 miscarrage) to get our BFP that stuck and was born perfectly healthy (and 1 week late!!). I remember the DESPERATION I felt to get a BFP and to carry my pregnancy to full term and the anxiety. I could not see my future without a bub. I got through it in the end but had to take a day at a time. I did what ever I needed to do which included lots of rest (as that seemed to calm me down) and also lots of positive thoughts, talking to my bub and having a mantra (mine was 'Happy healthy baby. Grow happy healthy baby'). Maybe you could try meditation during your next ivf cycle and during pregancy. I also had a close relationship with my FN and was able to call them anytime which helped alot. Are you able to contact a counseller or Fn as you need to during your next cycle? I really wish you the best of luck. As hard as it is try to stay strong and let me know if you have any questions or just need a chat

5. The Following User Says Thank You to L.j For This Useful Post:

miffy25  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Ladies sorry to hear about your experiences and thank you for sharing I know how hard it must be for you.

CG it must be scary each time you got a BFP. Thanks for your advice, I try to take each day at a time but with so many pregnancies, babies and kids around me it makes me more anxious - hard to block it all out.

L.J you have been through a tough journey burying two of your babies just like I did. I will read your post over and over again to get me through this as I'm not feeling much hope right now. Don't feel there is a positive end to our journey. I quit my job so i could rest through IVF. Congrats on your baby girl, she looks adorable in your profile pic.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 19-01-2013 at 21:09.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi Rachel3
    I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss. Going through IVF is such a roller coaster. Getting a BFP is such a great hurdle to get through but really is only one out of many, just when you think you're home free after 12 weeks so much can go wrong. I still haven't got my rainbow baby. After losing our baby girl at 37 weeks, we eventually plucked up the courage to try again but have unfortunately suffered 2 m/c since.

We're taking a break for a while as I'm just not ready to try again but know I will soon. I've had lots of counselling n many supportive people in my life which has helped heaps.
    All I can say is take one day at a time, do anything to try and reduce your stress, n try to hold some hope in your heart xxx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SJG For This Useful Post:

miffy25  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post
    Has anyone been through this? What should we expect? My biggest fear is the first IVF BFN after the loss. I know it will be much harder this time having been pregnant with two perfect babies growing inside me and that I would be due soon. Went to the clinic today to pick up forms, AF due in a few days...feel really numb, just can't believe it.

Would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.
    Honestly it has to have probably been the worst BFN for me ever! Probably worse as we got our BFP first cycle - so I assumed / hoped maybe the next one would result in a BFP.... When I POAS & got that dreaded one line again I was devo - couldn't understand how only weeks earlier I had those 2 lines! It was tuff but it got easier

Sorry about your loss x

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Marttc and SJG. SJG sorry for your loss, 34 weeks is hard it shouldn't be like this. I go to counciling and have supportive friends and family but everyone has kids so it's not that comforting rather a reminder of this awful roller. We DTD naturally this month 6 days in a row before and during O (with OPK's). Hoped for a nice surprise but no luck. This is tough, let alone with IVF.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 20-01-2013 at 07:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post
    L.J I will read your post over and over again to get me through this as I'm not feeling much hope right now. Don't feel there is a positive end to our journey. .
    I know this feeling exactly Rachael. You can do this.... you are strong... and you will be a mum again. I know there will be times that you doubt it but you are doing all the right things. Is there anything that you are interested in that will keep your mind busy up to your next cycle or inbetween? It is important that you look after you and it does help doing something else you love so you dont 'swamp' your self with ivf thoughts 24/7 (as hard as it is to NOT think about it!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear Rachael,
    Sending you hugs as you gather the strength to try again.

xoxoxo
    Fortitude