+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BF 4 month old wont take bottle.. Need help!

I'd appreciate any tips on how to get my 4 month old to take a bottle consistently, I have tried numerous brands, other people feeding her, warming the teat, sitting her up etc, she's taken it 3 times perfectly but now refuses. I've tried every day this week and still no luck! Need to have it down pat before I have to go back to work in march

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Subscribing.... We are having the same issues with our 9 week old. His sister refused bottles and I was hoping he would be different!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Have you tried varying the temperature of the milk and ensuring there was long enough between feeds?

Good luck ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had no luck and now DS is 6 months. I just bought a sippy cup which seems to be working ok although he doesn't have much.
    Maybe you could try it, I bought one with 2 handles which he likes because he has full control.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hate to say it but he most probably won't take it :-/ I tried with mine and he only started taking a bottle with water at almost 10 mo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been asking the same questions and friends always recommend feeding a bottle with the first feed but get someone else to feed bubs. This way they will be really hungry and wantibg to feed. it might be best to walk out of the room. Direct the bottle out wards so away from the body so bub doesn't automatically think "booby time". Get a medium flow teat and make sure the milk is around 37degrees (body temp) same as breast milk. My MHN suggested a sippy cup but that doesn't seem as comforting to me, but easier to transition into a normal cup. Your choice though. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    same here...everyone said try this and do that and none of it worked..i gave up, it was too stressful........I have haerd of ppl using Tresillian etc where a nurse just perseveres until the baby takes it, I don't know the circumstances of how one would get to that point of intervention tho???.....I tried doing Tizzy Halls suggesting of calmly telling baby its "bottle time" pffffffftttt ........for about 3 months I lived in hope that dd would have a bottle.....some babies simply wont take it....mine will now chew on a frozen teat from a bottle or sippy cup....she gets most tho from a normal cup believe it or not....I know it can be very frustrating .good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD took one from birth until she cracked it at three months and refused from there on. We tried for a month after that (different bottles and all) and then stopped. I start work next week and we tried again a few days ago and she gulped it down! She's now eight months and perhaps she grew into it?? She's also having water in a bottle for a couple months so this probably helped too

Thanks
    Reviews

I tried everything with my 3 month old n what ended up working is putting her in the bouncer. She chewed a bit but didn't cry n scoffed it down. She takes it from anyone in there including me!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: BF 4 month old wont take bottle.. Need help!

I do everything wrong when giving my 10 week old a bottle. I give it. I hold him in a breast feeding position. I tell him it's booby time (it's still boob milk with sometimes a formula top up added). I use a slow flow soft teat - was using a medela calma teat but he started to fuss to much so I changed. I think you just have to experiment but the main thing i've found is that bub has to be relaxed and calm otherwise it's an exercise in futility. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub